That's what I get for asking! Garmin V & 76S ??s

okay im IMing this fellow cacher on AOL asking about GPS units and he SLAMS the 76s and the platinum. He says the olny thing worth getting is the Garmin V. Im stumped. But then I can find the V and 76S for nearly the same price, until you get into the deluxe V model, which I also dont totally get. AGGGH< just whenI thoght I had it figured out! icon_mad.gif

I've recently been down this very road (<-- clever geocaching metaphor) and I purchased the 76S. I've only had it a few days, took it out yesterday and it led me right to my first cache find. So far I am very happy with it.

There are a few significant differences between the 76S and the GPS V that you should consider (aside from the obvious physical size and shape). The 76S has a built-in magnetic compass, so it will show you a (useful) bearing to a waypoint even when you're standing still; the GPS V doesn't. Of course you're carrying a compass anyhow... The 76S also has tide and celestial tables, which are of interest to me -- you may not care about them.

On the other hand, the GPS V has the ability to calculate turn-by-turn driving directions, something the 76S cannot do. My car already has full color talking GPS navigation, so having this feature in a handheld didn't interest me.

Garmin's Web site allows you to compare their models; you can view all the specs side-by-side. Look up any features that you don't understand.

If there's any way you can get your hands on each of the units you're considering, do so. Sometimes one design just feels right.

Good luck!

The Garmin MAP76S and Map76 will use MapSource America's BlueChart that provides detailed electronic charts for predefined regions in the US. The 76 provides Tide tables, Sun and Moon data, and navigation aids. I'm using BlueChart with a 76S. The coastal and offshore navigation functions are a pleasure to use. The GPS V is designed for different user functions.

thanks. I was pretty sure he was offbase as far as my needs for the unit. I did bid on a 76 model on ebay, but oops, just the map 76 - not the S - so I guess if I win it I'll just have to do without the electronic compass ... and the altimiter ... and the extra memory ... and ...

doh. icon_eek.gif