Legend and Metroguide: How BIG is 8mb??

shadango

I am new to the GPS world (cool so far!!) and new to the forum, and have many questions:

I just bought a Legend and am wondering if the 8mb is enough space to load enough Metroguide 5 maps to suit what I want to do. I plan on using this on motorcycle rides and on vacation...so I would want to load my local maps and then my destination maps and maybe one or two in between....I am a realist in that I know I cant get 1.5 gbs of data onto an 8mb gizmo...But, is 8mb enough space to load enough maps??

For instance: I live in Pittsburgh PA and want to load maps for my vacation to the Outer banks, NC.... I went to garmins site and it looked liek I will need to load two "blocks" for the outerbanks, 3 or so for my local maps and one or two in between....

Generally speaking, is this gonna happen? I can take teh legend back within 14 days and exchange if I need to...I was looking at the eMap but was concerned about the waterproof/durability issues....and the Vista which has 24mb but also costs $100.....

So, for those using Metroguide with a lgened, how many maps can you load in before it is full?? I know they are all different sizes, but I would liek to get a general consensus...is 8mb enough space.

Thanks all!

I have Legend and I use MapSource Metroguide version 5.

I have had Chattanooga, TN (home base) and Orlando Florida in at once along with the Cocoa Beach, FL area.

I have had some of the Chicago area and Chattanooga loaded at once. Then needed to add an another area of Chicago, so I removed Chattanooga.

I can keep Chattanooga, TN, Nashville, TN and Knoxville, TN all in at once - and it's almost capacity on the Legend.

I like the Legend (it's my first unit - had about 4 weeks) but if I had it to do over again,

I'd probably do the VISTA.

I have a notebook computer and loaded the mapping software there. So I can easily add/change maps while out-of-town.

As you select the maps that you want to download on the Metroguide software, on the left of the screen under the maps tab (? I think - working from memory here) it will give you the size of the areas you've selected for download at the bottom of that section of the screen. You can

see from that if your unit will hold the areas you're interested in at once.

Lots of luck -- really enjoyed mine and still

learning how to use features, etc.

BigAl.

I have similar setup to yours. I can hold enough for my needs, but would buy the VISTA if I ever had to purchase again.

Examples: Chattanooga, TN and Orlando FL and Cocoa Beach FL will all fit. Chattanooga, TN,

Nashville, TN and Knoxville, TN will all fit but

I think that's almost capacity.

I had several areas of Chicago loaded on a recent trip and had to unload Chattanooga to load another area up there.

Loaded the Metroguide software on a notebook PC so I can easily download new maps, etc on travels. Metroguide shows you the map size as you select the areas to download (bottom left of the screen, if I remember correctly).

Al

What happens if you deviate from the route a little? Are you taking your laptop to load up maps on the go? If not you better add a few extra maps before you leave. Or decide to add Topo maps in the future? 24mEG gets you 3 times the memory and I guarentee after you load it you'll still will wish you had more memory. Get the Vista if you got the bucks

Good luck

Alan

Where I am, 8mb will load Seattle, most of the puget Sound area, north to Canada, East to the Columbia river.

Be sure to De-Select the ''Auto routing'' option at the download. This will give you much more memory for maps.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

With MG5, you can fit Pittsburgh & the very fringe of the Outer Banks with nothing in between. You may want to consider MetroGuide version 4.x. Less POI info and more map graphics.

Generally, I love my Legend to death!!! Still, when putting MetroGuide 5 data into it, it is very disappointing as to how much data fits into the unit. I also love the MG5 data and its capabilities! It's all kind of like Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez. Separately, they are great! The concept of putting the two together seems like a great idea. BUT "Gigli"...

I am now an owner of both an eMap (w/128MB) and a Legend! I use the eMap for long trips in the car and the Legend for caching and walking around.

I'm a happier man for it.

How accurate is Metroguide 5 as far as map sizing??

I know I wantt o take the Legend back and get a higher memory unit.....it looks like a Vista would work great for this trip, giving me Pittsburgh, the outer bansk and all maps in bewteen and then a little more...

I am wrestling with whether I want the autorouting feature of the V or not...$150 is a lot of money for that feature when you consider you LOSE 5 mb of space....if the V had 24mb of space it would be an easier decision based solely on the cash....

Them the 76s somes into play with the fiferent type of antennae.....

Not sure what to do.

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Geo:

With MG5, you can fit Pittsburgh & the very fringe of the Outer Banks with nothing in between. You may want to consider MetroGuide version 4.x. Less POI info and more map graphics.

Generally, I love my Legend to death!!! Still, when putting MetroGuide 5 data into it, it is very disappointing as to how much data fits into the unit. I also love the MG5 data and its capabilities! It's all kind of like Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez. Separately, they are great! The concept of putting the two together seems like a great idea. BUT "Gigli"...

I am now an owner of both an eMap (w/128MB) and a Legend! I use the eMap for long trips in the car and the Legend for caching and walking around.

I'm a happier man for it.

I wanetd to touch on your advice....

When I click on maps in Metroguide 5.0, there is a "total MBs used" kind of thing in the lower left.....Is that including the "extra" info you are talking about?

The reason I am asking is that I am waffling between a Vista and a V, and the 5 mb less in the V scares me a little....the trip I am planning from Pgh to OBX, NC needs 18.9 mb or so if I load all the maps that my route falls in....on teh V I will be awefully close....on the vists, room to spare....

So, if this tally shows ALL the data, then I guess I might bjust be OK with the V......

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Where I am, 8mb will load Seattle, most of the puget Sound area, north to Canada, East to the Columbia river.

Be sure to De-Select the ''Auto routing'' option at the download. This will give you much more memory for maps.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

If you're selecting maps, and MapSource says 8.1MB, then it ain't goin' into the Legend! I've been playing with MG5 between P-burgh and OBX for you... 24MB is a VERY tight fit!! Garmin seems to put the map segment seams at the most critical intersections! (good marketing strategy I suppose). Anyway, you can get most of your Metroguide 5 trip into a 24MB Vista, but not quite all! You might consider going with the Vista and Metroguide 4.whatever... This gives you considerably more map data and less POI (Point of Interest) data! You can get MG4 on eBay at very reasonable prices now that version 5 is out icon_wink.gif

If you're selecting maps, and MapSource says 8.1MB, then it ain't goin' into the Legend! I've been playing with MG5 between P-burgh and OBX for you... 24MB is a VERY tight fit!! Garmin seems to put the map segment seams at the most critical intersections! (good marketing strategy I suppose). Anyway, you can get most of your Metroguide 5 trip into a 24MB Vista, but not quite all! You might consider going with the Vista and Metroguide 4.whatever... This gives you considerably more map data and less POI (Point of Interest) data! You can get MG4 on eBay at very reasonable prices now that version 5 is out icon_wink.gif

Can someone do a test for me??

Click on the map named "pittsburgh, PA" and let me know how much data it needs WITH and WITHOUT autorouting data enabled....

I cant seem to turn that feature on...I guess now that I connected to a Legend, it knows it cant use it at all??

When I click onthe map, it says it is 1.73 in the lower left portion of the screen, but in the map tab itself it says 1.43 mb....

The running total is higher than the individual listings added together.......I am HOPING that the running total is ALL data needed to autoroute......

For my trip to the OBX, it looks like everything will fit in 19.8 mb or so.....

Thanks in advance...

DZ

DZ

Just an idea why more memory is better as I sugested in my previous post. I reloaded diferent maps then usual for our vacation in Cape COd. MY wife got sick and I had to find the doctor in Westchester county which I had eliminated from my usual maps in my Vista when I'm home. Obviously, with a Legend, that kind of thing will happen more often.

Just to throw in a couple of more variables that will probably confuse the issue more: The vista also has a digital compass and altimeter while the V and Legend do not. I find the on-board compass handy for geocaching. IT's really of little value on the road whiloe driving.

Also, someone once mentioned that you don't have to have all the Metro maps loaded for a trip between 2 cities as the V will route using the base map major roads in-between. I can't confirm this since I don't have a V. Of course, if you're thinking of biking country roads rather than main roads, that won't help you.

Alan

I agree that more mmeory is better....

But the V simply has the features I realized that I really wanted.....

It took using a Legend for a few days to come to that....I wouldnt be happy with the vista just because it held more maps....

As long as the V will hold enough maps for this 10 hour trip, I will be ok..... <grin>

If I were making a cross country, I would take a laptop....I probably will STILL take it, but hope not to need it...

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Just an idea why more memory is better as I sugested in my previous post. I reloaded diferent maps then usual for our vacation in Cape COd. MY wife got sick and I had to find the doctor in Westchester county which I had eliminated from my usual maps in my Vista when I'm home. Obviously, with a Legend, that kind of thing will happen more often.

Just to throw in a couple of more variables that will probably confuse the issue more: The vista also has a digital compass and altimeter while the V and Legend do not. I find the on-board compass handy for geocaching. IT's really of little value on the road whiloe driving.

Also, someone once mentioned that you don't have to have all the Metro maps loaded for a trip between 2 cities as the V will route using the base map major roads in-between. I can't confirm this since I don't have a V. Of course, if you're thinking of biking country roads rather than main roads, that won't help you.

Alan

I hear you on THAT one.....I had the Legend tucked int oa pocket on my motorcycles's tank panel and I keep pulling it in and out while riing...NOT smart...but SO dadgum compelling!

I am looking at mounting gear for my yet-to-arrive new V...

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Sounds then like the V is the one you should go with because of the auto-routing.

Good luck. (PS> Whatever you get, keep your eyes on the road. Cell phones are nothing compared to GPS for distracting you.)

Alan

definitely agree more memory is better. I have a e-map and use 3 128mb and 1 8mb chips. I have almost all the western half of the US metroguide on 2 128 MB chips. I have almost all northwest states topo on another 128 mb chip and eastern arizona topo on the 8 mb. This saves me time planning and reprograming for each trip. I never have to worry about not having the right map downloaded. I've noticed that each section of the metroguide you download is pretty close to 8mb. So You will probably only be able to download one map of your area.

quote:
Originally posted by Grin'n'Bearit:

I've noticed that each section of the metroguide you download is pretty close to 8mb. So You will probably only be able to download one map of your area.

This was true of the original version of MetroGuide. But version 4.01 that came out summer of 2001 and version 5 that came out earlier this year have considerably smaller sections. I average a little under 1 MB per map section using MG-USA version 4.01. Makes it much more useful with units like the Legend with 8 MB since you can better define the area you want to have covered. With the original MG you were out of luck if you happened to be near the boundary between sections since you could only load one at a time.