My Lowrance GM100 keyboard fell off!!!

About a month ago, the keyboard fell off my Lowrance GM100! The keyboard appears to be held on by a type of two-sided tape.

I had my GPS in my backpack while motorcycling on a hot day. I am thinking that the heat loosened the adhesive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem??

I've tried gluing it back on, but it keeps falling off again. I've resorted to wrapping it with black electrical tape.

I'd like to know how common this problem is before I send a nasty-gram to Lowrance.

keyboard.JPG

GrouseTales Guide Service

While I'm sure it may discourage theft, those little tabs hurt your fingers. My thumb sticks better then the keyboard icon_smile.gif

What's left of the adhesive also makes a big mess. Everytime I slide it in or out of the belt holster it tracks glue all over the screen icon_frown.gif

While I'm sure it may discourage theft, those little tabs hurt your fingers. My thumb sticks better then the keyboard icon_smile.gif

What's left of the adhesive also makes a big mess. Everytime I slide it in or out of the belt holster it tracks glue all over the screen icon_frown.gif

Grouse Tales:

Don't know if you remember this link:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=4410912993

Can you add to it?

In the old link you said that you had 2 Lowrance GlobalMap 100's.

Anybody else with pictures of defective GPS units, Like a bad screen?

One thing nice about the GPS V, is that it is fairly rugged and the buttons are mounted behind the plastic housing while sticking through. You will need pliers to pull out those buttons. Being funny here.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

I have the same unit, mounted on my motorcycle, and it's been thru rain storms and blaring road heat, has been in a number of "dumps"...what? Me tip over?!? Has the hell vibrated out of it, it's mounted on a one lunger KLR 650...and no problems at all. Get a garmin heh? My friends that have them call me when they need accuracy! All said with good humor and no malice...don't wanna start a flame war...Edgy

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Grouse Tales:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=4410912993

Can you add to it?

I've added my GM100 to the above casualty list. icon_frown.gif

I do have another GM100. I gave it to my son last year for his birthday. With the waypoint managing software, I can instantly install my waypoints when needed.

I still love the performance of the GM100, On a recent Geocaching trip with 3 other cachers, the GM100's reception out-performed 3 different Garmin units.

I'm still waiting for Lowrance to return my Email. I will let everyone know their response.

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Grouse Tales:

Can you add to it?

I've added my GM100 to the above casualty list. icon_frown.gif

I do have another GM100. I gave it to my son last year for his birthday. With the waypoint managing software, I can instantly install my waypoints when needed.

I still love the performance of the GM100, On a recent Geocaching trip with 3 other cachers, the GM100's reception out-performed 3 different Garmin units.

I'm still waiting for Lowrance to return my Email. I will let everyone know their response.

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

About a month ago, the keyboard fell off my Lowrance GM100!

Go to Walmart and grab yourself some 'Plumber's Goop'. There is marine Goo and electricians goop etc. - all the same stuff but sailors will pay more for it. Apply it with a toothpick to all areas but the white buttons. Have some acetone handy (nailpolish remover) 'cause it's messy. I found on my GM100, the pad had stretched a tiny bit, making it hard to get the corners in without looking like there was a bubble. I would suggest you goop all but the outside edges first, then apply the pad and let dry overnight. then put some goop under the edges and tuck them in. You may have to use electrical tape to keep it there until it dries. Any excess goop on the unit comes off very easily the next day.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I have already tried "goop" to glue the keyboard back on. The goop fix lasted for a few days then

the keyboard fell off again.

I think the problem with the goop fix was that I did not remove the factory adhesive. The Goop didnt have a good holding surface.

If I don't get an acceptable solution from Lowarance, I will go the Goop route again. This time I will remove all the old adhesive.

(Goop is a great product! I fixed a hole in my car's windshield with it. The hole was the size of a quarter. The fix has lasted several years now)

They gave me a return authorization number and have indicated they will fix if at NO CHARGE.

The unit is well outside of the 1 year warranty time period. I will be very satisfied if I'm not charged.

I mailed the unit today, lets see how long it takes them to repair it.

quote:

(everytime I slide it in or out of the belt holster)

I used my GN 212 for 3 years never had a problem usually it went in a fanny pack or a shirt pocket, when I gave it to my 14 year old Grandson in 2 weeks the lanyard was gone 1n a month the keypad was lifting up at the lower right hand corner when I saw how and where he was carrying it I knew why, he carried it in his pants pocket the friction from sliding it in and out of the pocket was pulling the keypad loose icon_frown.gif

PS Almost forgot he also cracked the screen by letting it bounce about 50 feet down a cliff. took a beating and kept on caching

All who look are not lost

[This message was edited by vagabond on June 22, 2002 at 09:27 AM.]

quote:

(everytime I slide it in or out of the belt holster)

I used my GN 212 for 3 years never had a problem usually it went in a fanny pack or a shirt pocket, when I gave it to my 14 year old Grandson in 2 weeks the lanyard was gone 1n a month the keypad was lifting up at the lower right hand corner when I saw how and where he was carrying it I knew why, he carried it in his pants pocket the friction from sliding it in and out of the pocket was pulling the keypad loose icon_frown.gif

PS Almost forgot he also cracked the screen by letting it bounce about 50 feet down a cliff. took a beating and kept on caching

All who look are not lost

[This message was edited by vagabond on June 22, 2002 at 09:27 AM.]

I use the Lowrance belt holster whenever I'm caching or hunting.

It has elastic on the sides and is a tight squeeze going in and out. I can see how

the friction may pulling at the rubber every time in return the GPSR to the holster.

Maybe I will try to find a looser fitting carrying case, a camera case may do the trick.

quote:

As one of those Garmin users who was along with GrouseTales, I will testify that this is indeed true. His GPSR did consistently outperform the accuracy of my Garmin eMap when it came down to the final 80 feet or so. I was impressed. However you must admit (and this is said with a smile) that the street mapping capabilities of my eMap with MapSource Roads and Recreation data were invaluable for guiding our team to the locations in the first place. It was a true team effort.

I finally got my GM100 back from lowrance last week.

Lowrance repaired the problem at no charge.

They also gave me a free camoflaged belt holster to compensate me for my troubles.

I was somewhat miffed by a notice they included with my gps. The notice reads:

"NOTICE!

Your unit has be designed to operate or be stored at temperatures up to 150 deg fahrenheit. On extremely hot days, this temperature can easily be exceeded when placed within a few inches underneath a dark boat cover or in direct sunlight. This can also happen on an automobile's package shelf or dashboard in direct sunlight with the windows up. For the protection agains heat damage to your unit, we recommend you place this product in a storage compartment away from windows or the boat cover when its not in use".

I contribute the problem 100% to the belt holster pulling at the keyboard when you put it in or take it out.

One thing I starting doing, place the gps antenna side down in the holster. This stretches the case out before it gets to the keyboard section. The keyboard will then barely make contact with the case. The drawback is hampered reception with the antenna facing down.

>