Garmin 72 or Etrex Venture

The GPS 72 has a bigger display, but the resolution of the Venture is much better 288x160 versus only 160x120 for the GPS 72.

For those that have never seen it, the screen displays on the high-end eTrex units (Venture, Legend and Vista) are phenomenal. Other units look like toys compared to these units.

Check around for closeouts, etc. I have seen both of these units locally for under $100. Bought an open-box Venture at Best Buy for $89.00, and passed up an open-box 72 at Walmart for $75.00. Both were in new condition.

BTW, my preference would be the Venture purely on a size basis. Otherwise, the 72 seems like a pretty good unit and for primarily car or boat use would likely be a real good choice, the small screen (hense small type, etc) on the Etrex's pretty much dictates (at least for my eyes) you hold them in your hand to see them well.

72 does NOT accept an external antenna, you would need to step up to the 76 to get that. I have been very happy with my 72. Screen is large enough to read, and price was right. Also, being 6'4" means that I don't like small handheld anythings. The 72 was large enough that it is easy for me to use. Screen resolution is good, and it is easy enough to read, even while driving. Also, good selection of accessories, other than the antenna, it shares all the same extras as the higher end 76 line.

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

Being a former owner of the Venture, I would suggest you look more into the Legend. You may spend a little more up front, but you will get it back with the rebate.

The Venture is a great unit, but it lacks mapping abilities. The legend can do everything the Venture can, + maps. You will want them!!

I must have owned the Venture for about a week before I started wanting maps. Don't make the same mistake I did. If you could get either one for the same price, get one that handles mapping abilities. It opens the doors to so many more things you can do with your new toy icon_wink.gif

Of course that does mean you will eventually need to spend more $$$ on the Mapsource software, but it beats having to buy a new GPS!

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

The Venture and 72 both have 1 MB of memory, which is used to load POI files from MapSource. These are only points, of some kind of interest.

The Legend (and GPSMAP 76) has 8 MB of memory available to load maps via MapSource. These maps aren't only points, but streets, roads, lakes (and a lot of points, too, at least if you go with MetroGuide).

You can look at my review to get a feeling for the maps.

Anders

Yes the Venture accepts POI's which are just as Anders said points of interest. POI's are just preset waypoints for places to go shopping, eat, hotels, campgrounds etc.

Useful but not always and alot of the info is out of date (good thing they give the phone number so you can call before getting there only to find out its been gone for 10 years!!)

If you go to the Garmin Website and click on the drop down menu called Mapsource Compatability (right hand side) for the GPS you are interested in, it will only show the Mapsource products that can be used with it.

[This message was edited by Team Shibby on May 14, 2003 at 10:24 PM.]