Northfinder?

CWL

I have the Meridian Green. On the Magellan website it says all the Meridian series have Northfinder technology.(tells you which way is north even when standing still) That sounds cool and all but I have no idea how to use it! Anyone got a clue?

I haven't seen this feature, but I have a sneakin' suspicion that it's just a slightly automated version of the ol' Find North With A Wristwatch trick. Since your GPS knows what time it is, it should be simple to do.

For those that don't know, just point the hour hand of your watch at the sun. Now imagine a line bisecting the angle between the hour hand and 12:00. If you position yourself so that line is pointing directly at you, you'll be facing north. (This assumes you're in the Northern hemisphere.)

Of course, it won't be exact. It's a rough estimate, and where you are within your time zone, and DST are factors that will throw it off even more.

3608_1400.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on January 23, 2003 at 09:25 AM.]

I have the north finder tech. on my mag 315. It dose work and is very simple, i use it all the time. When on the compass page, there will be a sun and a moon icon. When standing still, if you can see the sun, just line up the sun and the sun icon on your screen and it'll tell you which way your facing, same thing with the moon. It won't work unless you know where the sun is at, it's not as good as one of those electronic compasses in some gps's but it works just fine for me.