Garmin 76S 3.02beta

The web site details alot of changes including adding more waypoints (1000) and fixing some bugs. Note that it wipes everything from your GPS so make sure you take a copy to your computer first with a serial cable. I haven't upgraded myself yet. Waiting till it comes out of beta.

Iv'e been using it since it came out and haven't had any problems so far. Major changes are:

Increased number of waypoints to 1000

Corrected battery gauge so unit would not power down when gauge showed half full

Increased number of waypoints per route to 125

Increased number of saved track points to 750 per saved track

Increased active route to 10,000 points

Upgrading the firmware isn't likely to affect maps downloaded into the unit.

The firmware and the maps don't go into the same flash memory inside the unit.

Doing upgrades that change how memory is used (more waypoints etc.) DO erase user settings, like language and time zone, and also clears the almanac. You'll have to let the unit re-aquire the almanac for a while, before it will perform as it used to.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Jago:

Actually it does clobber all maps. There is a utility to re-install the base map and its fairly easy to re-install any extra maps you have. Read the garmin web page. It tells you all.

It never clobbered any maps in my MAP 76S or my Vista or my GPS V. The basemap is in ROM (either that or some form of protected flash RAM)...you can't delete, replace or alter it in any way. As Anders said, firmware and user uploadable maps are stored in separate areas of flash RAM. When you update the firmware, the maps are not touched. Maybe you are referring to the Marine POI database that comes pre-loaded in the MAP 76S, Vista and a few others. This factory pre-installed "map" (if you want to call it that icon_biggrin.gif) *will* get deleted when you upload MapSource maps to the unit. There is a Garmin utility that simply wipes out any MapSource maps that you've loaded into the unit and re-installs this POI database.

Got brave and did the dirty deed ( Updated from the 2.01 to the 3.02 beta ) because I didn't see any replies that anything bad was happening or has happened. The upgrade went fine and it didn't do anything to my basemap either. Fixed a problem I was having with the shutdown when I tried to do a elevation profile on a saved route. Other than that I assume it fixed all the other problems ( the only one I noticed was the shutdown thing )since the 2.01 version. Will post if any problems arise. Thanks for your intelligent input and support.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Once again: Updating the firmware does not remove maps loaded to the unit. It most certainly doesn't remove the base map, which can't be removed even if you want to.

The pre-loaded point-of-interest file is replaced, however, if you load other MapSource products into the unit. Something which has nothing to do with the firmware upgrade.

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Jago:

Read the garmin web page. It tells you all.

But you have to read slow enough to see what it really says.

Anders

I am running 3.02Beta and the upgrade process did NOT clobber anything in the unit. If you read the instructions, it states that it can clobber the marine base maps. I don't use them, and have not noticed if they are any different. I do know that I have a lot of marin nav aids showing if I turn them on.

Everything else works well.

/cw