Garmin GPSMAP 76s - Magellen Meridian Platinum - Garmin eMap

TinCup!

I just wish Garmin had taken the eMap design with its small size, loud beeper, and ext. antenna plug and added the high resolution display and altimeter functions of the 76S, the standard memory card and 3-axis compass of the MeriPlat, and the auto-routing of the V.

I got my eMap three years ago and was sure at the time that within a year there'd be some new product that would make me view the eMap as terribly outdated. Hasn't happened yet.

Can't give an unbiased evaluation of the Garmin GPSmap76s 'cause it's the only one I've owned but I can tell you that the electronic compass feature is indespensible for caching. When you get close to a cache and are losing sat due to tree cover and your gps direction gets screwy 'cause your moving too slow - the compass kicks in and points the way.

I swear by my Garmin V. The turn-by-turn directions so totally spoil you, espeically when caching in unfamiliar areas. I'm also impressed with how much detail the street maps have...even down to dirt roads in many cases in rural Mississippi.

Once in a while the streets will betray me (map doesn't match what I'm driving on), but that's less than 5% of the time. I've also learned the technique of using the streets and turn-by-turn to lead me almost all the way to a cache, then switching over to "off road" for the final lead-in, for when it's an off-road cache (which is almost all the time!). (If you leave turn-by-turn on in that case, it'll try its best to keep routing you and you'll end up driving in circles!)

FWIW...

-Dave R. in Biloxi