questions about dell axim and CF cards..

After getting geocaching fever, my father in law wanted to know if he could put maps on his Dell Axim (alwayws trying to score points with him..LOL). Being somewhat new to this, I do know that you can get a CF GPS addon for the Axim.

Is this a good solution for someone wanting to turn their Axim into a GPS? I heard Mapopolis has good maps, would they be compatible with this? Or does a CF card come with maps? Would the Axim function like the Ique in that it would give autorouting, voice? Would the Axim be WAAS capable and would the CF card have any trouble reaching satellites to get a lock?

With an Axim you would want to use the CF card slot for your GPS as you could actually find them that way.

The SD card slot would then become your storage for maps. The maps depend entirely on the program you are using and how it works.

Microsfot S&T will let you store map files. The GPS software for your CF device you would have to research very carefully to find out if it would let you store maps on the SD card.

Not much help but hopefully it points you the right direction.

I have the Dell Axim X5 (400mhz) and a CF slot GPS. The CF GPS was purchased off of Ebay and works fine. I am using Delorme XmapHH for maps, but the app is V E R Y S L O W... So I have heard many good things about Mapopolois...I also use Navio for caching, a nice program you can import maps and then mark reference points, actually making your imported map, a moving map. I recently downloaded a topo and then marked the points works fine....

....However, cachedragon will be available in a workable app soon..... See "DavidSteins" posts here.

All you need.... a reliable compass and a PDA/GPS...

Good luck and safe caching..

Dave,

Akron, Ohio

Besides the Axim site, for GPS/PDA combos, a good place to look is GPSPassion.com

As for the Dell axim with a CF receiver, the combination I have works great. I use the 400mhz axim with a globalsat BC 307 CF unit. You get great mapping capability with programs like mapopolis. Voice direction commands, auto routing and re-routing that works extremely fast etc. The receiver is also quite a bit more sensitive than either my sportrak, or eTrex. I'm still playing with it though, so can't say for sure how accurate it is under those conditions.

On the downside, the Axim is somewhat fragile and not protected in any way from moisture, dirt etc. I'd say the possibility of damaging it while caching is very real.