Geobuddy.....

I recently downloaded Geobuddy version 1. After doing some 'playing' by downloading a few .loc files from www.geocaching.com I found that the name of the cache is the first few letters of the actual name of the cache, not the GCXXXX name.

Is there any way to change the name of the cache to the GCXXXX name instead of the first few letters of the actualy name into Geobuddy?

The screenshots of v.2 shows the name in the GCXXXX format.

Chip

What's Geobuddies. Something I missed I guess. Anyway I tried out the pocket query but just dumped all my waypoints because I can't stand having those GCxxx identifiers in there. I need a name so I know what I'm looking for. Each have their own needs I guess.

4497_300.jpg

im with eraseek on this one, i wish that easy GPS were the same way, i would like to d/l the loc file w/ the proper cache name and the geocaching icon already in place, i use my gps for various figitings, so it would be really really nice if that orginazational nightmare were put to rest. who would want those GC names anyway??? i have never refered to a cache by that in a forum or a discussion. i just dont understand it!!! anyway i will be looking for geobuddy, if it does what you say, it should be better than easygps.

When the program is opened click on file>Preferences, then check the box next to "create waypoint ID from waypoint name". If it's unchecked it uses the GCXXXX name, if it is checked it uses the actual cache name.

I just like the GCXXXX name because that's what fits into the GPSr. I print out the discription sheets and take them along with me on the hunts so when I'm starting a new hunt I crossreference the cache I want to look for with the GCXXXX name on the GPSr. It's also convienent when scrolling through the list of stored waypoints to just go to the G section and there they all are in order.

I agree to each their own....that's what makes this "RASH" so great.

Chip

[This message was edited by Seay me on July 28, 2002 at 07:06 AM.]

[This message was edited by Seay me on July 28, 2002 at 07:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

I can't stand having those GCxxx identifiers in there. I need a name so I know what I'm looking for. Each have their own needs I guess.

This was originally one of the reasons I started rolling my own software for this task. But just

this weekend, I found that you can make EasyGPS and ExpertGPS (at least the demo) make sensible names for your caches.

Just edit the *.loc files and delete the name. topografix will then create waypoints names that are appropriate for the selected receiver. If you're using a Banana, you get six character all upper case. If you're using a Magellan, you get eight character mixed case. If you're using a 76 or a V, you get a longer string (didn't count) but all upper case.

It isn't infallable (for example, it'll name "cache-o-rama-lama-ding-dong1" and "cache-o-rama-lama-ding-dong2" the same waypoint) but it's still more comprehensible in the common case.

While I don't have the recepie handy for geocaching *.locs, here's the line of Perl code to do it for GPX files.

perl -pi -e 's@GC.*@@' $FILENAME

(Yes, technically I know there are legal GPX files that line won't "fix", but getting all the cases makes one straight-forward line into something much uglier without solving a problem I needed to solve. :-)