etrex Legend

Ok, thanks to another person...I now have a new hobby. Aside from making beer, I now won't have time to do anything.

I picked up an etrex legend last night, and I already like it, and don't know what to do with it. The manual that came with it is not very helpful. Are there any types of html or pdf files out there that may be beneficial?

Thanks,

sarge

Not to worry, Sarg. Get the Legend out and start playing with it. If it is Brand new, Take it outside, turn it on and set it down for about 10 minutes to establish satellite locks.

The legend is user friendly and it won't hurt it to press the buttons and see what does what.

As you press a button, look at it in the manuel, to see all that that button will do.

You'll get the hang of it.

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

quote:
Originally posted by sgt cache:

I picked up an etrex legend last night, and I already like it, and don't know what to do with it. The manual that came with it is not very helpful. Are there any types of html or pdf files out there that may be beneficial?

I'm researching eTrex units for a possible purchase and noticed the following entry in the official Garmin FAQs:

Q. Does Garmin make an instructional video for my GPS unit?

A. Garmin offers instructional videos for the eMap, eTrex, GPS III Plus and GPSMAP 295 models. These videos are available from your Garmin dealer or online from http://shop.Garmin.com.

The button on the top right will flip you between your main screens. The little joystick thing on the front will allow you to select different things on the screen and sometimes change options. The top two buttons on the left side are for zooming in and out on the map page. The bottom button on the left is the same as selecting Find from the Main Menu screen. This should get you started. As was said before, just play around with it, you'll get the hang of it.

--RuffRidr

Sarge, the gang is absolutely correct. Take it out and play with it. Set waypoints for your house, work, etc, and then drive, walk, bike etc around and use the various navigation options like the pointer and map to 'watch' yourself progress along. It's great fun, pick a simple cache and do a hunt.

The Price of Freedom is Vigilance

OK--One other question. After I have navigated to some points (with just playing with it). How do I clear the "route" that shows up in the map view? I want to clear in the map where I went. I am sure that this can be done, but I don't know how.

Thanks,

sarge

I am new to the etrex Legend also. Does anyone now how to "find exits" that are NOT close to my current location? If I am in Nevada for example, how can I find exits in San Diego, CA? I seem to be able to pull up exits that are near where I physically am, rather than where the map is panned to.

Any way to do this???

gbod, after you turn on the etrex go to the satelite page. Click the options menue button scroll down to use with gps off, this will turn off the satelites. Click the options menue again and scroll down to "new location" another menue will come up Automatic or use map. Click on use map. A map will come on to the screen and you can move the pointer to San Diego, CA. Then look up the exits from there. Ron