GPS & Feet

I am looking for a new GPS and need some opinions.

I would like to find a unit that can be set to read out in feet only. My Mag-315 will only read feet when the mileage to the waypoint drops below .1mi. I am also looking for opinions on best units for accuracy (WAAS?) and use under tree cover. I am not brand specific since I have or have owned units from the big three. I have looked at specs on the sites till I'm crosseyed. I hope that there's a unit out there that meets my needs.

Thanks

Be verry verry quiet we're hunting caches

I do not think you are going to find a GPS that uses feet only as a measuringtool.

But you can do the math yourself if you just gotta know the distance in feet.

528.5 feet per tenth of a mile, or if you want to round it then go with 525 for a rough guess, if that is too hard to add in your head then round down to 500 feet and use that to make a guessestimation.

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

But you can do the math yourself if you just gotta know the distance in feet.

528.5 feet per tenth of a mile, or if you want to round it then go with 525 for a rough guess, if that is too hard to add in your head then round down to 500 feet and use that to make a guessestimation.

Um, I don't think that was the point. I'm pretty sure the original poster wanted the granularity of measurements in feet. You're method just gives tenth of a mile measurements expressed in a different way.

If something is 4460 feet away, that's what they want displayed. With your method, you would have calculated it to be 4224 feet.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

The pro models can be set to give all distances in feet(Survey or International). This is a feature I sorely miss in the consumer grades. Also they allow for post processing so some models are able to give centimeter accuracy with Phase correction.

I have to project allot of points as part of my job. The best luck I have had is to use meters / Kilometers instead of miles and feet for distances over 528' with the consumer models.

Feet icon_confused.gif and miles icon_eek.gif, does some still use them icon_smile.gif

Forrester II, there's actually some consumer grade (handhelds) that can provide pseudorange and carrier phase for post processing. Not cm level accuracy but since only L1.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Feet icon_confused.gif and miles icon_eek.gif, does some still use them icon_smile.gif

Well, I hardly use miles, but I use my feet everyday, to walk here and there... icon_biggrin.gif

If one set the unit to meters, you do have one meter resolution (granularity!) up to 1000 meters, when it switches to kilometers with one decimal.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Forester II:

Kerry

Most of my measurements are still in chains and tallys. icon_biggrin.gif

Which consumer handhelds? I would like to check them out. Also what kind of accurracy?

Yeah, still many old plans over this way in chains/links as well but I betcha you don't use a chain (as of the gunther variety) to measure those chains these days icon_smile.gif

Many of the Garmin 12's, some of the Etrex's and some other garmin receivers can be made to externally record pseudo range (and limited carrier phase) in Rinex. Nottingham University

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/iessg/gringo/

produce a rinex logger called "Gringo" that has been tested with some of these receivers, and there's also a few "Async Logger" similar to

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dmilbert/softs/g12rin.htm

Accuracy would probably best be classed as "metre" accuracy but that is of course dependent on baseline distance and reference station accuracy.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif