eTrex - Maps and software versions

0x284C

Just got my Vista yesterday! It shipped with 2.28 and I am ugrading it to 2.40 now.

I'm thinking of getting some additional maps - topo and metroguide. Can I have both maps loaded onto the Vista at the same time? So, if I'm hiking I could use the topo map and the metroguide for when I'm in the city.

In a word, yes. I have Topo, Metro and Roads and Recreation all loaded in my Topo. While only one can be selected to display at one time, you can select wich maps you want to display at any one time. The Vista also prioritizes (Metro, then R+R and then Topo) where you are using all three in the same area. But again, you can override and select the one you want. Lots of flexibility. And how you would use it is how I mainly use it. Metro and R+R until I get to the woods then switch to Topo.

Alan

Roads and Recreation: 3.8 megs covering a radius of about 80 miles with San Francisco at the center.

Topo about 7.5 megs for 75 miles radius.(San Fran)

Metro: 7.5 megs for about 25-30 miles radius of Boston (I don't have the west coast Metro maps in my computer hard drive but I figure Boston should be similar to SF).

Hope this helps.

ALan