Cache Locations

Guest Kimrobin

Guest Kimrobin

Now that we are over 300 caches in the UK, I thought it might be easier to identify the location of caches if we put the county name (or similar) in the cache title.

I've done this with our caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7339

by adding (W Yorks) to the cache name.

What is the feeling about everyone doing this?

Alex.

[This message has been edited by Kimrobin (edited 03 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kimrobin (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by Spog:

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Spog

Yes that is a good Idea, I would also like to see people say what county they are from when logging a find , just to find out how far they are traveling to find cache's. some seem to travel vast distances to find a cache and its nice feeling to get a log from someone who has traveled a long way, makes it worth your while to hide more, Just to get a log reply

------------------

The Northumbrian

Guest Kimrobin

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

Yes that is a good Idea, I would also like to see people say what county they are from when logging a find , just to find out how far they are traveling to find cache's. some seem to travel vast distances to find a cache and its nice feeling to get a log from someone who has traveled a long way, makes it worth your while to hide more, Just to get a log reply

Well if everyone completes their Profile page

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000278.html

that wouldn't be neccessary.

Alex

Don't you think we might be jumping the gun here!

Before we start to become too local!, with County, District or Town labels to our caches, shouldn't we first split the Uk into seperate sections ie. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It seems to me to be bit of Little England thinking here! and not considering the rest of the UK.

Baz " The Scout"

Originally posted by The Scout:

"shouldn't we first split the Uk into seperate sections ie. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. "

I'd (respectfully) disagree here. You and I live about 35 miles apart and rather than search for all your caches under Wales, it would be easier to have them all in one list but identified as "Gwent". This gives a complete view of all the caches in increasing radius order rather than spliting up the information and needing two searches.

There is a huge time/distance implication between North and South Wales and therefore its only the local information which has direct value to a cache search. No-one has suggested using an identifier "England", perhaps because it isn't useful when we're all searching on a local basis, hence the county names.

Of course, if your point is that many people struggle with Welsh county names you may be right, but Nicky is educating me having spent years in Carmarthen!

quote:

It seems to me to be bit of Little England thinking here! and not considering the rest of the UK.

Baz " The Scout"

Not at all. Recent caches posted were from N Yorks (A lot of balls) and Buckinghamshire (Brilliant). With my system you caould see straight away where they are, but with yours, they would both still show up as "England", which would tell me nothing.

I'm just trying to make things a little easier, not get involved in arguments between the Englaish & the Welsh. I'm a Scot myself so I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I'm better than all of you icon_smile.gif

Alex.

quote:

It seems to me to be bit of Little England thinking here! and not considering the rest of the UK.

Baz " The Scout"

Not at all. Recent caches posted were from N Yorks (A lot of balls) and Buckinghamshire (Brilliant). With my system you caould see straight away where they are, but with yours, they would both still show up as "England", which would tell me nothing.

I'm just trying to make things a little easier, not get involved in arguments between the Englaish & the Welsh. I'm a Scot myself so I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I'm better than all of you icon_smile.gif

Alex.

Originally posted by Dave & Nicky:

"I'd (respectfully) disagree here. You and I live about 35 miles apart and rather than search for all your caches under Wales, it would be easier to have them all in one list but identified as "Gwent". This gives a complete view of all the caches in increasing radius order rather than spliting up the information and needing two searches."

To add further confusion the County of "GWENT" no longer exists, its made up of the sub districts of Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen. icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Dave & Nicky:

"I'd (respectfully) disagree here. You and I live about 35 miles apart and rather than search for all your caches under Wales, it would be easier to have them all in one list but identified as "Gwent". This gives a complete view of all the caches in increasing radius order rather than spliting up the information and needing two searches."

To add further confusion the County of "GWENT" no longer exists, its made up of the sub districts of Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen. icon_confused.gif

Ive county-fied mine since this seems like a fine idea.

Most people ought to have at least a basic knowledge of the county names in their own country and their nearest neighbours (whether they like them or not). If this isn't the case the cache details page now has enough online map resources now to make this argument a bit pointless really.

Eddie