Finding Newbies

Ben Pid

The GeocacheUK database could list members who've posted their first UK find within the last 24hrs. But we can't find people who have signed up, but not yet started caching.

Were you thinking of some sort of 'welcome to geocaching' email? I have plans to send a 'congratulations on finding your n00th UK cache' email from GeocacheUK, once the XML feed is in place.

Its easy to locate "profiles" for people that signed up a new account. Just pick a number and see who it is. Currently the new numbers are over 97K!

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=97001

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=97200

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=97210

But, theres no way to figure out where this person/persons may be, unless they stated a location in their profile. If they have some finds or hides icon_eek.gif you might be able to figure out what area they're in...

You also have to remember that not all new accounts are new members, and that LOTS of those new accounts will go inactive icon_frown.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Oh dear - I accuse the Americans of being parochial, and now I'm guilty of the same crime! I'd assumed that Pid was only interested in people in the UK.

It's a pity that geocaching.com don't publish the country cachers come from in their profile. I fully understand why home coordinates are not revealed, but there seems little harm in revealing the country.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

It's a pity that geocaching.com don't publish the country cachers come from in their profile. I fully understand why home coordinates are not revealed, but there seems little harm in revealing the country.

In 99.999% of cases you are probably right although if I put my mind to it, I could probably think of a scenario where it could do harm. Anyway, if the cacher wants you to know where he/she comes from, they can put the info in voluntarily e.g. look at my profile.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Am I alone in finding the term Newbie a little demeaning?

I remember calling myself a Newbie on my first post, but thinking about it now it seems to send out the message that "This is our gang and you have to prove yourself."

I know people don't mean any offence by it, but it would sound more welcoming to call new members just that or new cachers.

This is not me being over critical is it? I don't mean to be.

Just my 1.285 cents worth (The value of your investment may go down as well as up exchange rates may vary, please read the fine print...) icon_smile.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

I remember calling myself a Newbie on my first post, but thinking about it now it seems to send out the message that "This is our gang and you have to prove yourself."

I couldn't comment on the appropriateness of the term, but I still feel like a newbie. There's always new stuff that i learn about the sport, new angles, and new cache ideas.

At what point does anyone become an "old hand"?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

I couldn't comment on the appropriateness of the term, but I still feel like a newbie. There's always new stuff that i learn about the sport, new angles, and new cache ideas.

At what point does anyone become an "old hand"?

Well that just reinforces my point, we are always going to be learning and improving and I guess that once you reach the stage of thinking you know it all then that would be the time to move on to a different pastime.

Me, I am happy to be a "New cacher" and have fun and learn from others as I go.

And on a final point there seems to be a great spirit amongst the UK cachers right now, as is proved by the fact that the beeb program and the Winchester cache meet have broken all records for the amount of replies to a post. The previous highest was "What do you do for a living" icon_smile.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I've done 11 caches and wouldn't regard myself as a "Newbie". I live in a bald patch of the UK (well used to as I've placed 5 in my local area) and my number would be much higher if I lived elsewhere. I also feel that I know a lot about the sport, mainly through trawling through these boards icon_smile.gif

MarcB

"We searched for hours in the cache area but all we could find was an ammo box in a little hollow. Suggest you archive the cache..."

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Am I alone in finding the term Newbie a little demeaning?

I guess it comes down to how welcome you've been made to feel in GC. The original point of this thread is about just that: Finding and, no doubt, welcoming Newbies. There probably has to be a certain amount of "prove yourself" about this though: dedicated Geocachers like Tim & June, Hornet, Dan & Pid to name but a few will obviously have more experience about hunting plastic then you or I, Merman. Of course, this can't detract from our own efforts, and I'm sure we'll soon cache up with them... What everyone needs to remember is Newbie is a term of endearment rather than an insult. Sailors like to keep out of the way of inexperienced deck-hands until they've got their sea-legs, I'm sure the same applies to Mountaineers, Police marksmen, Chefs, etc. This does not mean the presence of a new crew-member is not appreciated, though. I'm a newbie, and proud of it!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's a tradition, or an old charter or something...

I've never thought of the term "newbie" as being demeaning, it's one I've come across a lot in geekdom. It's just shorthand for "person who is new to the activity".

You're a newbie for as long as you feel like.

Nobody has to "prove themselves" as geocachers as far as I am concerned.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Dan & Pid to name but a few will obviously have more experience about hunting plastic

Honoured to be classed this way! Cheers.

Dont think anyone hasto prove themselves, dont think the word Newbie is attall demaning! I mean why would bit be, its just a word that means you are new......its like the word "Cacher" for caching.....your New so your a NEW-BIE!...LoL.....Why on earth do you think so deeply?

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk