Caching . Home & Away .....

GeoDean

Hi all.

I'm currently in Australia on a Family/caching holiday, I'm in Adelaide at the moment and it has a very lively geocaching scene. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in seeing the sights and doing a few caches as well. With that topic in mind I have a few questions to start of a topic.

1. Could any one recommend a place to go camping in the uk that has a reasonable amount of caches near bye? Suitable for a weekend break perhaps.

2. Could anyone recommend a foreign destination that is highly cached?

As I will be returning home soon (26/4/03) and the "summer" is nearly upon us, it would be great to get away for a few days and do a spot of caching at the same time.

Thanks Guys . UKDEAN

Tip of the day : Always be nice to your mother and don't eat yellow snow :-) icon_smile.gif

You could try Weymouth. There are loads of camping sites, some at very reasonable prices if you don't want to stay at the big commercial sites.

There are quite a few caches down that way - Portland, Swanage & Durdle Dor, areas within a short journey of Weymouth itself.

Easy to get to as its on the main run to the South west.

mmmm - no, I don't work for the local tourist board as it may sound like! I just visit the area alot to see family icon_biggrin.gif

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

We went for a weekend to Falmouth in Cornwall a few weeks ago. Both the caches we did were in great locations, and we picked randomly from a large selection of local ones. Nawcher and The Crinklys seems to be responsible for most of them, and they have made a good little cluster down there.

Twas a long way to drive for a weekend from Southampton though :-)

Phil'n'Kerry

quote:
Originally posted by ukdean:

2. Could anyone recommend a foreign destination that is highly cached?

We went over to the Netherlands last summer, and did a load of caching (as well as going to a cacher's BBQ / night cache: another one is lined up for this summer).

Even nicer is that you can take your bikes with you, and do a lot of them on your bikes... of course almaost everywhere is flat, so its so much nicer than in hampshire!

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

. . . of course almaost everywhere is flat, so its so much nicer than in hampshire!

But of course Winchester is the cache capital of the UK and Hampshire does have that very, very nice County Council, particularly the Recreation and Heritage Department - I would have thought they outweigh the disadvantages of the hills (they're only little hills really, even Butser!) icon_wink.gif

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???