Toy of the decade

jeremyp

I don't think this thing is a good idea.

Can summon authorities in an ermegency? Cell phone can do the same thing & once they call the new 3G phones with the ability to id your location, that'll make them better then this thing for summoning police.

Can only be unlocked by parents. ewwww! You've got to be seriously paranoid to id tag your kid like some panda bear to track his movements.

I'm sorry but kidnappings are actually rare. I think it's nothing but spying on your kids. You can't truly trust your kids to be where they say they'll be and do the right thing unless you let them out of your site & let them test the waters.

it signals you if they aren't where they're supposed to be? Great, so you're gonna get a fax alert because your kid went to Joey's house when he usually goes to Sam's house.

I read where they've developed the equivilent of a black box for your car so you can tell how bad a driver your kid is, and when it exceed certain parameters, i.e specific speed, or sharpness of a turn, it warns them with an alert. great just great. so they becomes pavlovs dog at the wheel.

I'm sorry folks. This is technology run amok. Sounds great till you examine the behavior & thought patterns behind it. Turth is this scares me a lot. I would never EVER want to subject my kid to this stuff. Otherwise I'll never trust them, never stop owrrying about them and they wouldn't ever feel as if they were trustworthy either.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

This is just what my mum wants to track her cats! Looks like there's only coverage in the US though. I don't think they ever stray that far.

Or you could attach the Travel Bug football to the cat's collar and then it wouldn't move anywhere icon_smile.gif

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

This is just what my mum wants to track her cats! Looks like there's only coverage in the US though. I don't think they ever stray that far.

Or you could attach the Travel Bug football to the cat's collar and then it wouldn't move anywhere icon_smile.gif

Alex.

Considering the difficulty of getting a position with a purpose built GPS unit in anything but an open field I would expect this unit would suffer similar problems. So, if the child is indoors, under a tree, in a city street with nearby tall buildings, or in a car etc the unit will not know where it is. So a large percentage of the time you wouldn't know where the child is. If an alert was triggered whenever this happens the parents would get tired of false alarms. And if the unit didn't trigger an alarm then any child with much technical savvy would figure out how to go as they pleased by making sure the unit didn't get a fix. It would also sadly be equally easy for a abductor to do the same.

I think this is a cynical attempt to exploit parents fears, as I can't actually imagine it would prove useful in a real abduction case in tracking where the child had been taken.

On a more humourous note I was told a story which sounds like an urban legend about a person working on a rig offshore who foolishly stole an emergency locator, and then accicdently acivated it at home, which was somewhere out in the Scottish Islands. He were somewhat surprised when a helicopter turned up at his house asking if everything was OK, so I guess it the case of these units people wouldn't be as keen to steal them as they are mobile phones.

Don't mention the mushrooms

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

Despite agreeing wholeheartedly with the views of it being an exploitation of worried parents I do think it's a slightly better idea than the parents who are presently in the news for having a chip put into their daughter for the same purpose.

Notwithstanding, of course, that fact that said story in the news is complete rubbish. Even if there was such a thing as a all-on-one-chip GPS, an under-the-skin chip would have no way to broadcast it's position back to the parents. At least, not without an additional "under-the-skin" antenna ...and an "under-the-skin" battery pack too.

And how often do you need to change the batteries in your gps/mobile phone? I can't imagine plugging a new set of duracells into your child's arm on a 12-hourly basis being particularly feasible.

This story smacks of a hoax and/or misreporting to me.