Mapsource problem

Mapsource Roads & Recreation UK, albeit rather an old edition, works OK with Window XP but I find that I have to reduce the baud rate to 9600 for transfers to be reliable, especially with maps. If anyone else knows a way round this, I too would be glad to know as it takes ages to load a decent area of maps to my Vista.

You might start to troubleshoot the problem by checking in the data area on your Garmin and make sure it is set to garmin and not to NMEA.

(I had this problem with my map 176.)

Also it is worth going onto Garmin's website and downloading the lastest update. If you open mapsource and click on Help then on About Mapsource, you need version 4.13.

Hope that helps you.

Jstead, the solution I found to slow transfer of maps up to the GPSr was to get a datacard programmer. (Of course it occurs to me that you might not use datacards in the Vista, in which case that does not help)

If you do have a card, the difference I found was that without the programmer, 2hours for 64meg with the programmer 5 minutes!

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by tony69:

Hi again mapsource 4.13 is not for the UK

This patch is only applicable for all versions of the MapSource United States TOPO product. It will not affect any other MapSource product.

any more ideas

Richard

Mapsource 4.13 is not country specific.

Mapsource is simply the program, it is not important which mapset is used with it. Once Mapsource is on your computer then you could put all the various products in it. Whether it is a US or UK map. I myself have both Roads and Rec UK and Metro loaded and am using it with 4.13 no problems at all.

Most of the fixes that 4.13 address could well be to do with US mapping, that is understandable as Garmin is a US company.

I just went on the website and I see the patch that you are referring to, which is the wrong one.

The update you need can be downloaded HERE

Good luck

Chris

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

[This message was edited by The Merman on May 31, 2003 at 11:25 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by tony69:

Hi

I tried it and it works, many, many thanks

Richard icon_smile.gif

You're welcome.

(Dear Garmin.

Can I get commission

best wishes,Chris) icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

Mapsource Roads & Recreation UK, albeit rather an old edition, works OK with Window XP but I find that I have to reduce the baud rate to 9600 for transfers to be reliable, especially with maps. If anyone else knows a way round this, I too would be glad to know as it takes ages to load a decent area of maps to my Vista.

I did find that the port settings in XP overrode those in Mapsource, the default in XP is 9600.

If you go into control panel and adjust the port settings for your serial port to 115000 baud, that should do the job.

Best Wishes

MArk

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

I use MapSource (latest version) with both Metro Europe and R&R Europe. It runs quite happily at 115000 baud rate. It still takes quite a while to download map data into my Legend, though. About 20 minutes if I load a full 8Mb. As I can't download the whole country, I usually just download the area I propose to go caching in, about 2 or 3Mb of R&R and leave it at that.

John

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Thanks Connedxf for that suggestion. However I use a USB/Serial convertor to save having to scrabble around the back of my PC to make connection and it occurs to me that that may be the slowing factor. Next time I'm round the back I will try the serial port and 115200 baud.