Well, I did it!

geomania

Greetings, all.

I'm pleased to say that I'm no longer a geocaching 'virgin'!

Went out today, armed with my shiny new eTrex Vista, and found (after a little ferretting around)my first cache.

'Lead Mines' by the Carney Family is a nice easy walk for a sunny but cold afternoon - Thanks to Ian and family for the excuse to re-visit the area. I've been up there quite a few times previously, but was blissfully unaware of the presence of a cache until a month ago!

Regards

G.

You poor, poor soul. Exactly a year ago I was in the same position as you. I'd just discovered geocaching and I found my very first cache. I remember the thrill to this day.

A year on and I'm 'an old hand' icon_wink.gif, just shows how the quickly the sport has developed. I'm afraid your free time won't be the same any more. No journey will be undertaken without that quick check just to see if there are any caches on route.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

... I'm afraid your free time won't be the same any more. No journey will be undertaken without that quick check just to see if there are any caches on route.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for your good wishes. I've got to say, that my wife didn't look *too* pleased whilst I was scrabbling about in the undergrowth, but to be fair, she wasn't feeling too well today...

She can't really complain, as she's been on at me to do more walking/excercise, and now I've got the perfect excuse for more moorland excursions!

I just wish that I'd found out about 'caching before now. I spent two years doing 3 nights a week in a hotel in 'sunny Borehamwood', watching the telly and sitting in the bar - if only I'd known, I could have been wandering around Watford and the rest of Hertfordshire, looking for your caches! (And all without my wife having to get involved icon_wink.gif )

Regards,

G.

quote:
She can't really complain, as she's been on at me to do more walking/excercise, and now I've got the perfect excuse for more moorland excursions!

I keep feeling guilty, going caching, but then remind myself how HEALTHY this lark is.

Today I guess I walked something like 6 or 7 km around Hythe (the pier is 500m each way alone!), finding only 2 of 3 caches :-(

The funny thing is that young fit (?) Michael sometimes has trouble keeping up with unfit dad! I reckon that as you get older, whilst you may not be as fast, you can keep going much longer....

Welcome to the mad world of caching!

Paul

Team Blitz

White gravel? What white gravel? I can't see any.... heck, who cares!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

The funny thing is that young fit (?) Michael sometimes has trouble keeping up with unfit dad! I reckon that as you get older, whilst you may not be as fast, you can keep going much longer....

I found exactly the same thing! see my log here. I think those gameboy things are the source of all their power. As soon as you detach it, they run out of steam rather quickly.

Not like us seasoned veterans!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Its not just my kids then, I can't believe how quickly they get tired. It's not as if I'm high on stamina myself.

Tech-no notice