Why so few caches in East Anglia?

I've only recently discovered this hobby but I've got the bug. I live in Norfok where there are only 9 caches for the whole county, and set 2 of those up. The situation is even worse in Suffolk. A quick look at the map shows a huge gap.

Are there just too few geocachers in the area?

Does anyone have any ideas for increasing players in an area?

Icenians (Kev)

I have one cache hidden in Norfolk but I live 120 miles away.

I`ve noticed a slowdown of geocachers in Norfolk since Easter.

Maybe you could try free B&B to encourage geocachers to the area!

Johnty

[This message was edited by Johnty on July 10, 2002 at 07:20 PM.]

There are very few caches around my area, and only one other active cacher I know of in Edinburgh.

The American fora say "If you stash it, they will come." I'm putting out a couple of caches to try to increase the density here, and the other cacher seems to be doing the same. That way when someone else here gets the bug, there are enough caches around to get them truly hooked. icon_biggrin.gif

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

There are very few caches around my area, and only one other active cacher I know of in Edinburgh.

The American fora say "If you stash it, they will come." I'm putting out a couple of caches to try to increase the density here, and the other cacher seems to be doing the same. That way when someone else here gets the bug, there are enough caches around to get them truly hooked. icon_biggrin.gif

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

When I started in February there were only a few caches in Hertfordshire. I placed a few myself as did a couple of other local yokels icon_smile.gif

This encouraged visitors which encouraged us to plant some more which encouraged others to start planting which encouraged more visitors which encouraged more people to plant which encour.............. etc. etc. etc. Now look at the area!

The answer seems to be to plant a few of your own and watch the snowball effect take place. I guess a similar process is taking place in the Winchester area, Dorset etc. and that's only in the far south.

When I started in February there were only a few caches in Hertfordshire. I placed a few myself as did a couple of other local yokels icon_smile.gif

This encouraged visitors which encouraged us to plant some more which encouraged others to start planting which encouraged more visitors which encouraged more people to plant which encour.............. etc. etc. etc. Now look at the area!

The answer seems to be to plant a few of your own and watch the snowball effect take place. I guess a similar process is taking place in the Winchester area, Dorset etc. and that's only in the far south.

My parents live in Suffolk so when I started caching I thought I'd do some caches in that area but was disappointed to find that there were only three (at the time) and the nearest was 40 miles away. El10t and I decided to try and do something about it but so far we have had time only to plant two caches (we both live some distance away is my excuse). We intend to plant some more to get a "critical mass" in the area.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

Hiding caches is as much fun as finding them I reckon.

Well said, that man!

I know not everyone agrees with the use of virtual caches but I've placed at least three to increase the density of caches in an area, i.e. to give a bit more justification for a Geocacher to go there - in each case picking something which might be of interest but not noticed. And I've done the same abroad where there was no chance of my maintaining a traditional cache.

I have placed one cache in the Clacton area.

I have a holiday home near there (Mud hut) and I do look for other sutable sites and take ready made caches with me when I go there.

What is needed is more geocachers.

How do you do this?

Contact the local news paper and talk to one of the reporters and explain the hobby to them.

If they are worth their salt they should be interested. Offer to take them out.