Southern Cache temporary hiccup - ideas needed

el10t

Hi Everyone.

Jeremyp and I were in Winchester today, checking the virtual tour.

While we were there we took the opportunity to check out the proposed meeting place - the Old Gaolhouse. It turns out that they do not allow children inside.

There are a number of us who would like to bring children along for a family day out, so I think we will have to find an alternative venue. It needs to be close to the city centre because the virtual tour is based around this.

Has anyone got any suggestions for places? Wherever it is it needs to be able to accomodate at least 24 people. Please post ideas here.

Thanks.

el10t & jeremyp

[This message was edited by el10t on March 23, 2002 at 10:41 AM.]

Oops !

Perhaps because our kids have grown up and perhaps because most pubs allow kinds in these days we did not think to check this. Apologies for suggesting this place. Shame really because we have heard some nice things about this pub.

Easy solution, send the kids to the workhouse. icon_biggrin.gif Now if only I can find my copy of the "Dickens Guide to Winchester Ale Houses" icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, I just checked, all the workhouses are closed down for some reason so we have to find another location. icon_biggrin.gif

The problem is that most of the city pubs are pretty small. Just outside the city there are plenty of pubs with more space and play areas/gardens etc.

We have phoned a couple of the larger places in Winchester City but they all have the same problem. Greens Wine bar (almost next door) has an upstairs room which we might find useful (and does good food). We will have a dig around and see what we can find but ideas from others still welcome of course. We rarely use the pubs in town so don't know them very well.

Just tried the "Slug & Lettuce", which would have been ok but they are doing a refurb then. The good news is the manageress is now going to buy a GPS, so the next meet there should be ok.

icon_biggrin.gif

We wlill keep looking.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Oops !

Perhaps because our kids have grown up and perhaps because most pubs allow kinds in these days we did not think to check this. Apologies for suggesting this place. Shame really because we have heard some nice things about this pub.

Easy solution, send the kids to the workhouse. icon_biggrin.gif Now if only I can find my copy of the "Dickens Guide to Winchester Ale Houses" icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, I just checked, all the workhouses are closed down for some reason so we have to find another location. icon_biggrin.gif

The problem is that most of the city pubs are pretty small. Just outside the city there are plenty of pubs with more space and play areas/gardens etc.

We have phoned a couple of the larger places in Winchester City but they all have the same problem. Greens Wine bar (almost next door) has an upstairs room which we might find useful (and does good food). We will have a dig around and see what we can find but ideas from others still welcome of course. We rarely use the pubs in town so don't know them very well.

Just tried the "Slug & Lettuce", which would have been ok but they are doing a refurb then. The good news is the manageress is now going to buy a GPS, so the next meet there should be ok.

icon_biggrin.gif

We wlill keep looking.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Panic over everyone.

jeremyp and I happened to bump into tim and june whilst out enjoying the nice weather today. They very helpfully suggested the name of an alternatve place that sounds very child-friendly.

Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember what it was(!) so am relying on them posting it here icon_smile.gif

Thank you Tim and June.

El10t

Panic over everyone.

jeremyp and I happened to bump into tim and june whilst out enjoying the nice weather today. They very helpfully suggested the name of an alternatve place that sounds very child-friendly.

Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember what it was(!) so am relying on them posting it here icon_smile.gif

Thank you Tim and June.

El10t

Hi Eliot and Jeremyp. Nice to bump into you today.

The pub is 'The Percy Hobs' which is a Brewers Fayre and has a garden and kiddies play area.

We have not telephoned them or anything yet but will if you like.

As we said, it is about a mile from the town but I'm sure that any cachers who need to use the train will be able to get a ride to the pub from other cachers. Perhaps those who will need a lift could post it here.

We guess that as it is out of town with it's own carpark etc, a map will not be needed, but for those doing the virtual cache tour the existing map will still be handy.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Hi Eliot and Jeremyp. Nice to bump into you today.

The pub is 'The Percy Hobs' which is a Brewers Fayre and has a garden and kiddies play area.

We have not telephoned them or anything yet but will if you like.

As we said, it is about a mile from the town but I'm sure that any cachers who need to use the train will be able to get a ride to the pub from other cachers. Perhaps those who will need a lift could post it here.

We guess that as it is out of town with it's own carpark etc, a map will not be needed, but for those doing the virtual cache tour the existing map will still be handy.

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

The words brewery and piss-up are echoing around the North of England icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what this refers to.

It can't be referring to the Southern Cache Bash which has been exceedingly well organised thanks to people going out of their way to ensure it is going to be a success. Tim and June spring immediately to mind for finding pubs etc, and jeremyp also for dedicating a good deal of time putting together some entertainment. We should all be very grateful to them.

For information, I have been informed that Winchester is subject to an unusual situation whereby the Diocese weilds a good deal of power over the licenced premeses in the city centre - which is why it is difficult to find a venue that accepts children, and why even nightclubs cannot stay open until after midnight on a Saturday. This has not put off those wishing to attend and a good time will be had by all.

You are most welcome to make the visit South on the 28th and see for yourself how succesful it is.

El10t

quote:

The words brewery and piss-up are echoing around the North of England icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what this refers to.

It can't be referring to the Southern Cache Bash which has been exceedingly well organised thanks to people going out of their way to ensure it is going to be a success. Tim and June spring immediately to mind for finding pubs etc, and jeremyp also for dedicating a good deal of time putting together some entertainment. We should all be very grateful to them.

For information, I have been informed that Winchester is subject to an unusual situation whereby the Diocese weilds a good deal of power over the licenced premeses in the city centre - which is why it is difficult to find a venue that accepts children, and why even nightclubs cannot stay open until after midnight on a Saturday. This has not put off those wishing to attend and a good time will be had by all.

You are most welcome to make the visit South on the 28th and see for yourself how succesful it is.

El10t

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

El10t

You are way too sensitive to be rubbing shoulders with us piss taking northerners el10t icon_biggrin.gif

Hope everything goes well on the 28th.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

El10t

You are way too sensitive to be rubbing shoulders with us piss taking northerners el10t icon_biggrin.gif

Alex.

quote:

Yeah you're probably right - Mrs El10t and I had to move back South (after the living in York for six years) to preserve our sanity icon_smile.gif

quote:

Thanks for that - please come along and find out icon_smile.gif

quote:

Yeah you're probably right - Mrs El10t and I had to move back South (after the living in York for six years) to preserve our sanity icon_smile.gif

quote:

Thanks for that - please come along and find out icon_smile.gif