what kind of terrain

mookey

Try this one, PID:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17966

Plenty Rocky ....

Well, I've only found 6 and hidden one, but I'm already mentally filtering out anything less than terrain 3 ... (though I loved the TombRaider ones).

I'd like to see more 3.5+ ones in the mountains. Looking forward to a couple in that category in N Wales, thinking particularly of X Marks the Spot.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8976

Looks like a good one ...

Let's see more 'high-terrain' caches!

44158_400.jpg

We have a difference in opinion (as usual) I like open areas of common land, would prefers moors, high ground etc but there is not much to choose from in Surrey. I hope to place one or two in the Beacons sometime this year.

Di likes the scenic & view cache, especially by the sea.

The one thing we both agree on is that we like to be taken on a decent walk to a place we never new existed before

David

quote:
Originally posted by mookey:

what kind of terrain do you like looking for a caches e.g a country park, woodlands,rocky places lets hear

Funny you should mention underwater caches, I had an idea like this a year or so ago about hiding an underwater one. The only thing that scuppered it was the lack of a 100% guaranteed waterproof container for the cache. Also it would have been reachable by boat without needing someone to get wet (short of falling overboard!). May revisit this idea one day.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

Anything but trees. Forest caches with boring walks to them are the pits.

There are some caches with great views and a nice walk with just a quick dip into the trees to find the box. Don't mind those.

Worse than that are the long walks down canal sides icon_biggrin.gif

If you dont like trees... don't bother with my caches icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

Anything but trees. Forest caches with boring walks to them are the pits.

There are some caches with great views and a nice walk with just a quick dip into the trees to find the box. Don't mind those.

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

It's a matter of degrees really. I've done a cache recently that involved an uphill slog of over a mile on a muddy/boggy forest path with nothing to see but trees, followed by 200ft of hard bushwhacking through thick pine to find the cache. Then you had to do it all over again to get back to the car. No nice view, no pleasant walk, no velvet lined ammo box to admire. That wasn't my idea of fun and I hated every minute of it.

Conversely, I also recently did a cache that had a nice drive up to fine reservoir, good parking with great views followed by a short scramble through about 60ft of thinly spread pines. nothing wrong with that, a nice day out for everyone.

A few trees to make things tricky is fine. Trudging all day with nothing to see but trees - I'll leave those alone.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

It's a matter of degrees really. I've done a cache recently that involved an uphill slog of over a mile on a muddy/boggy forest path with nothing to see but trees, followed by 200ft of hard bushwhacking through thick pine to find the cache. Then you had to do it all over again to get back to the car. No nice view, no pleasant walk, no velvet lined ammo box to admire. That wasn't my idea of fun and I hated every minute of it.

Conversely, I also recently did a cache that had a nice drive up to fine reservoir, good parking with great views followed by a short scramble through about 60ft of thinly spread pines. nothing wrong with that, a nice day out for everyone.

A few trees to make things tricky is fine. Trudging all day with nothing to see but trees - I'll leave those alone.

Alex.

interesting to note requests for high level, no tree caches. take a look at the Fair Snape cache I posted this morning. High 510m asl. No tress at all and the walk starts with 'a brutally steep climb' (walk guide book description)

By the way what is the highest cache in the uk, or the cache with the highest difficulty and terrain grade?

cheers

on the subject of covering blocking the signal out e.g thick trees, i quiet enjoy looking for a cache when the gps loses the signal when i am very close to it, i think it can be more of a challenge when you have to go into trees at least you know what direction roughly to look before signal lose. Well that is my opion,

p.s any terrain will do me i do not care

Caches in forests are fine by me, provided enough care has been taken to get the position correct... Dealing with the effects of poor sky view, multi-path errors and so on then becomes part of the challenge. However, getting a good position when hiding caches like that does take quite a bit of work, probably including several visits to the site over an interval long enough to get fixes under a good variety of satellite geometry conditions...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I like most places but do get a little bored of trecking through woods on everysingle cache. I suppose my favourite type is where they are slightly risky and not all that well hidden from the public. Is there really no snorkling cache in the uk by the way? if so that will be changing soon.

quote:
Originally posted by brandwood:

By the way what is the highest cache in the uk, or the cache with the highest difficulty and terrain grade?

cheers

Here's mine ...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17966

Mine is placed at about 935 metre altitude .... and I conservatively graded it a terrain 4. (but it's really a 4.5) ;-)

X marks the Spot:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8976

Looks roughly equivalent in height and effort. (Except that HardKnott to Like is a 3-part multi).

Looking at the only terrain 5 I've seen in the UK ... well ... the two I've pointed out here look harder, but, as you're aware, ratings are strictly subjective ... unfortunately.

44158_400.jpg