Flood Warning!

Ben Pid

Word of warning, always check if the cache you are planning to do has a river by it. Specially this time of year.

Tried a cache today by the river Ouse, the river had burst its banks and the cache was now a Watermead Wetlands 3 type experience. I guess this payback from God after he tried our cache but certainly didnt go down to well in the D+p ranks. Havent done a cache since the beginning of Decmeber and was gutted tonight icon_frown.gif the frost was just lovely too! icon_frown.gif

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Oh, thanks for the reminder. We had better go & check out Without A Paddle as that one is surrounded by water tho not a stream. Not sure where that water comes from but the land surrounding it is concrete so it doesn't drain well. On drier days it can still be interesting to get to! I think I might need a paddle to get to it this time! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

We set out to try Petrus at the weekend, the proper route would normally be across a small bridge, however at present the bridge is an island in a flooded stream.

I would have been possible to do the cache by nipping along someones driveway and by passing the wet bit, but since according to my map there' s no right of way i decided to post a note on the site and call it off.

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

I had a problem on the 30th with "Almost on the Boundary" and "Cobhams Quest". I couldn't reach them due to water levels being too high.

Andy.

----------------------------------------

It's Microsoft versus mankind, with Microsoft having only a slight lead - Larry Ellison

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

We set out to try Petrus at the weekend, the proper route would normally be across a small bridge, however at present the bridge is an island in a flooded stream.

I would have been possible to do the cache by nipping along someones driveway and by passing the wet bit, but since according to my map there' s no right of way i decided to post a note on the site and call it off.

As far as I'm aware, the driveway is a concessionary footpath (there are tourist info boards between it and the right of way), so you could have gone that way with a clean conscience. How much further you'd have got without getting wet feet is a different matter!

When the cache itself gets flooded, that's the time to worry icon_wink.gif

We attempted to do the 'Hurley Unlock' cache on Sunday, but the whole area surrounding the location is under water. We added a note on the cache page to that affect, it might be an idea if others do the same to avoid wasted journeys and disapointment. I guess there are going to be a lot of caches needing a check over once the water levels have gone down.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

I did the Dellquay port key and the last half mile involved a load of water and mud.

I decided this last weekend to do a couple of locationless caches that would not involve "Fields and lakes"

I have to say that it was a lot of fun and I managed three caches that involved plenty of fresh air and exercise.

The three caches were Beach hut by Adam and Amy's dad

Up upon and under and Railroad Locationless: Depots.

If the bad weather continues I may do a couple of Virtuals to stay away from boggy fields and woods!

Merman

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I woke this morning and our house was rocking, for one moment I thought I lived in a boat.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif