More work for 'Rob & Lisa'

Nia

First I would like to say I realy like your helpful site. Thanks for doing it. I'm enjoy looking at all the stats and everything.

I allways keep your entire list of UK caches on my GPS, then whenever I am out and about i check for the nearest cache. I have probably done about 12 extra caches thanks to you.

Ideas for a few extra things I would like if you have any spare time.

1)

Split the UK cashes into 2 or more lists.

This is because I (and others) am limited too 400 weypoints.

either split into areas, or split by age of cache.

2)

Sort the list of UK geocachers by:

Ranking (most found) (most placed)

Active (How recently they found or placed)

Keep up the good work.

what does everone else think?

[This message was edited by Nia on March 15, 2002 at 02:35 AM.]

i have to disagree with Nia here on both points.

I have found another site where you can easily locate caches near your desination so that you know what to download.

http://www.brilling.com/geocaching

and on the one about listing on amount of times found this will make it hard to find caches which are new because the most popular ones are on top. Also it would be a little stupid cause remember the most popular ones arn't always the most beautiful and so just leave the list as it is! icon_mad.gif

I have found another site where you can easily locate caches near your desination so that you know what to download.

and on the one about listing on amount of times found this will make it hard to find caches which are new because the most popular ones are on top. Also it would be a little stupid cause remember the most popular ones arn't always the most beautiful and so just leave the list as it is! icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

I will try the site you mention, hopfully it will solve my minor problem.

as to the second point, you missunderstood me and I agree with your reply if i meant the 'caches' but I meant the list of 'cachers' not 'caches'

I have edited it to read 'geocashers' to try and differentiate from 'caches'

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

I will try the site you mention, hopfully it will solve my minor problem.

as to the second point, you missunderstood me and I agree with your reply if i meant the 'caches' but I meant the list of 'cachers' not 'caches'

I have edited it to read 'geocashers' to try and differentiate from 'caches'

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

You can find some of this out at:

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=United%20Kingdom

I might be being thick but I am not sure where some of the numbers shown in this table are derived. "Found" and "Hidden" are self explanatory, as is "Total" (the sum of these two, and the measure by which the ranking is done) but what is "Found overall"?

El10t

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I might be being thick but I am not sure where some of the numbers shown in this table are derived. "Found" and "Hidden" are self explanatory, as is "Total" (the sum of these two, and the measure by which the ranking is done) but what is "Found overall"?

El10t

HI El10t,

Found and Hidden are both just UK caches. "Found Overall" inclues those found abroad.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

El10t

HI El10t,

Found and Hidden are both just UK caches. "Found Overall" inclues those found abroad.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Hi.

1) I have been thinking about this and am not sure about what to do. I've got a 500 limit so i've got a bit longer icon_smile.gif If you separate into North & South, then people in the middle will be annoyed. As for the split by age, you can do this now as the waypoints in the files are sorted by newest first so to get the newest caches you would just upload the first X waypoints. I suppose I could add new versions of the .mps and .loc files sorted on location so you can just upload a slice of waypoints corresponding to your longitude.

2) As others have said, there are other sites for doing ranking. My cachers page was just an easy way of getting to the profile page of a given cacher. Actually I was thinking of restricting this to people who have found a cache in the last three months. It seems there are a lot of people who just find a few and give up so this should shorten the list a fair bit. Does anyone have a problem with this?

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi.

1) I have been thinking about this and am not sure about what to do. I've got a 500 limit so i've got a bit longer icon_smile.gif If you separate into North & South, then people in the middle will be annoyed. As for the split by age, you can do this now as the waypoints in the files are sorted by newest first so to get the newest caches you would just upload the first X waypoints. I suppose I could add new versions of the .mps and .loc files sorted on location so you can just upload a slice of waypoints corresponding to your longitude.

2) As others have said, there are other sites for doing ranking. My cachers page was just an easy way of getting to the profile page of a given cacher. Actually I was thinking of restricting this to people who have found a cache in the last three months. It seems there are a lot of people who just find a few and give up so this should shorten the list a fair bit. Does anyone have a problem with this?

Cheers,

Rob.

Nia

If you wish to sort your waypoints, use a program called GPSU.. Using this you can select waypoints in an area and using the filter select them and download them to your GPS..

GPSU is available from http://www.gpsu.co.uk you can download a demo version and register it to remove the limitations.

it also alows you to build routes, waypoints and to set up maps etc. and it's British

icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Nia

If you wish to sort your waypoints, use a program called GPSU.. Using this you can select waypoints in an area and using the filter select them and download them to your GPS..

GPSU is available from http://www.gpsu.co.uk you can download a demo version and register it to remove the limitations.

it also alows you to build routes, waypoints and to set up maps etc. and it's British

icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

quote:
I suppose I could add new versions of the .mps and .loc files sorted on location so you can just upload a slice of waypoints corresponding to your latitude.

Actually, now I think about it, this isn't really required. In MapSource and EasyGPS you can just click on the Position or Latitude column of the table to sort by latitude. Then you can select the slice you want to upload.

Cheers,

Rob.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

2)

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=United%20Kingdom

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

First of all, there are plenty of ways to "find caches near where you want to be. I work out a rough position to the nearest minute of arc using my road atlas or Autoroute and then just plug it into the geocaching.com search facility. This has the advantage of filtering out caches I have already done. I also delete caches from my GPS once completed. I avoid doing caches without having the description about my person in case I need to crib the clue.

In principle I'm against league tables, but I have to admit it gave me a buzz to see myself up there at number eight icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

2)

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

First of all, there are plenty of ways to "find caches near where you want to be. I work out a rough position to the nearest minute of arc using my road atlas or Autoroute and then just plug it into the geocaching.com search facility. This has the advantage of filtering out caches I have already done. I also delete caches from my GPS once completed. I avoid doing caches without having the description about my person in case I need to crib the clue.

In principle I'm against league tables, but I have to admit it gave me a buzz to see myself up there at number eight icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Thanks for all the answers.

I can't believe i missed the obvious answer of sorting the list in easyGPS and just downloading the 300 nearest.

Thanks also to the link to the ranked lisings, I see we are at about 27th, So we are aiming for top 25 today.

To be PC I must say its the taking part that is important and not where you are in the rankings.

hehehe

All i need now is a better way to sort out the caches we have allready done, this was easy to start with I just deleted them, but as the list grows...