Geocache near LHR Airport

Hi there

It depends... To answer the actual question, there aren't any IN the airport but "within walking distance" is a bit subjective (depends on how far and how fast you can walk) and you don't say how long your layover is for. In addition, you haven't mentioned which terminal you're coming in to (there are 5 of them, some more than a mile from the others) so it would be hard to say without knowing more but with the info you've given, I'd say there are -  but only technically.  Read on...

I've looked on the map and popped a query in to GSAK. I've limited it to trads, as puzzles, multis etc could be further out and it comes up with 35 Trads within a 2 mile radius of the central Terminals (1, 2 & 3).

Can you walk to them? Well, I'm not local to the airport so I Googled it and it doesn't look promising I'm afraid.  Everything I've found suggests Terminals 1, 2, & 3 have NO pedestrian access. There is a free transit service to Termials 4 or 5, but from there, you'd have to ignore a few signs prohibiting pedestrians and be walking along fast and busy highways with no pavements. 

The general consensus appears to be that walking out of the airport is "not ideal and not recommended". Now if you have time to get on the Tube and go one or two stops along, to any of the outlying tube stations, you're golden!

There's an adventure lab that you can do at the airport (answering questions about airlines; can be done from anywhere).

As Mellers has already said, I don't think that attempting pedestrian access to/from the airport is going to be much fun.  I'm not necessarily sure that it's even allowed as I think the only (public) road access is through the tunnels under the runways which don't allow pedestrian access.  Possibly you could get a shuttle bus to a car park and walk out of the car park, but I don't think that's got much benefit over using the tube or getting a public bus (the Heathrow us station is by terminals 2/3).

If you're literally after any cache, then there's a trad and a challenge a short walk from Hatton Cross tube station (one stop from Heathrow T1/2/3 station).  The mystery that has a pin by the station is about a 15 minute walk from the station and it won't be a nice walk.

If you have a longer layover and want to feel a bit more like you've seen London rather than just an industrial area and gross roads near an airport, then Paddington station is on the Elizabeth Line (or Heathrow Express if you're feeling like spending more money for no real reason).  It's an impressive station building (the mainline bit) with a virtual and two trads, and a challenge not too far away.

Thanks for the tips mellers and smudgepuss! I have about a 3 hour layover before I take an international flight. I'm guessing that is probably not enough time to take the tube and find a cache. However I could probably do the adventure lab. What is the GC code for that lab?