Text message notifications

If you set up a gmail account for email notifications, then you can use the gmail app for immediate push notifications. GC send emails immediately, so the push notifications from gmail are effectively your text message. The official app doesn't do push notifications unfortunately (yet?), and gmail's the only one so far I've found that will push alerts on incoming emails.

Before that I'd patched together a custom script that checks for emails every 30 seconds or so and used another service that sends text messages. Very clunky, not worth the effort. Gmail has the function and it works wonderfully :)

At least in the US, most carriers have an email address that corresponds to your number for both SMS and MMS messages that you can just put in the field for email address that will mean they are recieved as a text. If you google "[carrier] email to text" you should get good info.

True, I forgot that I did try that in the early days, but the content of the txt received was just not optimal, and no way of customizing it. Now, the push notifications at least provide a whole lot more detail and you can just open the full email by swiping on it.  Emailing to txt may work, but it may not be pleasant :P