Can I wait to publish a cache for a while after it has been approved?

Forest_Lark

I'm planning a cache with a somewhat summery theme, so I want it to first show up on player's maps around late spring. Not that it won't be available in other seasons, but it would just be kinda nice if the first few finders were in a summery mood to really enjoy the theme :)

However, I'd also like to start the reviewing process plenty of time in advance, especially since this is my first time hiding a cache. Just in case there's a lot of back and forth.

So I'm wondering, is the cache automatically published to the public once the review process is over? If so, is there a way to schedule a cache to release on a specific date? And if not, am I permitted to wait a while before publishing the page for the finalized, hidden, and approved cache?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Forest_Lark said:

is the cache automatically published to the public once the review process is over?

No, it's not automatic. Caches are reviewed by human* reviewers, who typically publish a cache once it meets the guidelines.

*Some reviewers are dogs.

is there a way to schedule a cache to release on a specific date?

Yes, you can request the reviewer to accommodate this as part of the review process.

However, I'd also like to start the reviewing process plenty of time in advance, especially since this is my first time hiding a cache. Just in case there's a lot of back and forth.

The best way to avoid this is to go through the guidelines ahead of time, since that's what the reviewer will be using to evaluate your listing.

Happy caching, and I hope your first hide goes well.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Love 1

So, once you have your first draft written up, click "Submit for Review".  It'll prompt for a reviewer note.  That's where you should explain your request for delayed publishing.

The reviewer may send it back to you for changes (after which, submit again), or - if all goes well - will likely say it's good to go, and lock the listing against further changes.  This is simply so they don't have to review it a second time on the publishing date.

This is how it works in our local area, where we annually have a coordinated mass-publishing event involving many hiders, followed by a big weekend of fun.  :)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
++clarity;
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1