Messaging etiquette

Don't you love it when a newbie asks for help at a cache....

Where is this cache or better hunt been here 2hrs

I assume they meant hint.

This is one of ours a fair way from home, and it has had 2 DNFs from experienced searchers, so I was keen to help anyone find it to save us a drive! I can forgive 'short-hand'/low-mannered messages sent at GZ. I must say I tend to add at least a 'hello/G'day' and a 'please' in mine though....

So I sent 4 quickfire messages giving them guidance while I double checked the hint and dug out a spoiler photo to send, which I sent within a minute or so of their initial message. What do you think we got back?

Crickets.

They logged a find.... somehow I think we still need to check it!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, lee737 said:

I received a similar message from a cacher with a five digit find count. 

And it wasn't one of my caches... I was the most recent finder.

Edited by nachtmusik
Added more info
  • Surprised 1
9 hours ago, lee737 said:

snip - 

So I sent 4 quickfire messages giving them guidance while I double checked the hint and dug out a spoiler photo to send, which I sent within a minute or so of their initial message. What do you think we got back?

Crickets.

They logged a find.... somehow I think we still need to check it!

We used to get them from a long-time member who claimed to be the FTF king. 

He'd call the other 2/3rds every time he couldn't find a new cache.

Of course never mentioned that he called for a hint, nor say thanks to her after finding it...

Finally one time the other 2/3rds gave the phone to me, and I said, "Gee (name wh...), I bet someone will be along to help you shortly..." 

-  And he never did it again...  :laughing: 

I recently had a couple year member ask about Trackables in email.  Gave them all the info, didn't hear back...

- And we see questions asked in these forums all the time, and unless you hover over their name to see if they returned, you'd never know.

Sometimes I'm tempted to go back a year later and say, "You're welcome...".  :D

I feel we just need to realize the world is full of instant gratification gimme pigs. consider the source n  forgetaboutit...

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, lee737 said:

I do. I want people to find my caches and I'm always happy to help. It's nice to get a "thank you" back but it doesn't always happen. A bit disappointing but not something I worry too much about.

• Upvote 2

I don't mind, if I happen to catch it and can help.  The problem is the expectation that someone is just waiting for their phone to ping them and that they can drop everything and help.  You pressed a little message button in an app, and think there is actually someone on the other end?

Around here we do have a Phone-A-Friend list, with the active geocachers in the area who have opted to share their phone numbers and don't mind an occasional call.  I am on that list.   Truly, I don't get very many calls from it, and I don't make too many either.   But I have occasionally given or received help by calling the cache owner or a recent finder because of it.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I don't mind, if I happen to catch it and can help.  The problem is the expectation that someone is just waiting for their phone to ping them and that they can drop everything and help.  You pressed a little message button in an app, and think there is actually someone on the other end?

There's a lag on my phone getting message notifications from the app. Usually a couple hours; sometimes the next day.

• Helpful 1