Bracken - cancerous or not?

I'm not altogether sure about this, but I'd be interested to hear your views.

Pages like http://www.planorganic.com/news_july_02.htm make me worry, stuff like "Some years ago, shepherds and farm workers in Britain were advised to wear masks when they were working in or near bracken."

On the other hand, this page http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2577 almost puts my mind at rest.

Opinions?

I have bracken in one of my fields and its at it's most dangerous time at the end of August and throught September. The spores of the bracken plant can have an effect on peoples chests similar using loft insulation and being in contact with certain types of asbestos. the only time that I tend to cut through Bracken is when it's damp. I have been clearing the stuff by cutting it back in July and again for the next 3 seasons as this is a sure way of it's control with out the use of Herbicides.It is classed as an Obnoxiuos plant. contact Defra for info on the subject, I was sent some booklets from my local NFU office a few years ago and and thats where I got the info from, but just think how many of us have as children roleed about in ther stuff, another plant which has become a national nuisance is Ragwort, a very lethal plant to horses and cattle, I use gloves when pulling this plant out as handling it over a period of time can actualy make you feel dizzy, There's nothing worse than stopping off to check on stock and you see some child trying to feed it to your ponies, but a little education to them and they know to leave it alone. this was a good point to bring up as there are people out and about in the country that arn't aware of some of the plants that grow here that can be dangerous and have toxins in them, another is the giant Hogweed, I stay well clear of it, But as for cancer bieng caused by Bracken , I think it may be a grey area, just like Bovine TB coming from Badgers, some boffins say it does and other boffins say it doen't. so what are we to believe.

Nige

Nige

The Northumbrian is a member of The Geocaching Association of Great Britain

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the fresh, green, growing tips of bracket contain a lethal (to humans) toxin. I believe that steeped in hot water, like tea, it was used in the 'middle ages' as a means of assassination.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the fresh, green, growing tips of bracket contain a lethal (to humans) toxin. I believe that steeped in hot water, like tea, it was used in the 'middle ages' as a means of assassination.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

That would be the "age" and "treachery" then John....

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog:

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

I think it may be a grey area, just like Bovine TB coming from Badgers,

Did anyone else read this as 'Bovine Travel Bug coming from Badgers. or is it just me. icon_eek.gif

You were not alone!! icon_biggrin.gif

Then I re-read it, and thought how silly am I...

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

If you would like to have a say in the future of geocaching in the UK, please visit http://www.gagb.org.uk