Pocket query for caches around a .gpx-track when track is long (>400km)

Rag_De

For my next long hike (432km), I tried to save all the caches along my track by using the .gpx-file of my route, uploaded it as "User route" and used the function "Find caches along a Route". The first issue I found with this method is that there seems to be an upper limit on the number of tracking points of my uploaded gpx-data after upload, and so the resolution of the uploaded track got reduced significantly. In some (curvy) areas, the uploaded track is a few hundred meters away from my original track.

OK, no issue, I thought. If I set the envelope for the search high enough, this would compensate, and I still would collect all caches, that are within some reasonable distance from my track (I wanted something like a 300 meters wide envelope and not more, as this would cost too much time each time to leave my main track). But then, the next limitation kicked in, and that is the limitation to 1000 caches in total that can be stored using this kind of pocket query.

Does one of you have an idea how to solve my "mystery"?

I would like to avoid to have to split up my .gpx-track into, say 10 sub-tracks, and request the caches for each sub-track (the limitation here: this would take me at least 30 days, as only 1 PQ per 3days is possible).

Or are there any other tools available in the deep web or on geocaching.com?

Thanks for any hints.

You can run 10 PQ's per day, which should give you 10000 caches. Do you need more than this? I'm not sure what you mean by 1 PQ per 3days?

Could you split the GPX of the walk into sub-sections? - this might preserve the resolution of the track. Of course you can be more selective with the PQ as well - omtting caches you are sure you won't go for?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Rag_De said:

Does one of you have an idea how to solve my "mystery"?

Yes. Use GSAK, the macro GetCachesOnOSMRoute and Groundspeak's Api. Maybe Project-GC does this as well (die Schweden haben ja so gut wie alles bei GSAK

abgekupfert).

Might look like this screenshot:

GSAK_ScreenShot.png

Frohes Jagen

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Rag_De said:

(the limitation here: this would take me at least 30 days, as only 1 PQ per 3days is possible).

This is only true for your MyFinds PQ. Actually the PQ limit is 10 PQs per day (as mentioned by lee737).

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
23 hours ago, HHL said:

This is only true for your MyFinds PQ. Actually the PQ limit is 10 PQs per day (as mentioned by lee737).

Yes, thanks to both of you. I have overlooked that.

23 hours ago, HHL said:

Yes. Use GSAK, the macro GetCachesOnOSMRoute and Groundspeak's Api. Maybe Project-GC does this as well (die Schweden haben ja so gut wie alles bei GSAK

abgekupfert).

Might look like this screenshot:

GSAK_ScreenShot.png

Frohes Jagen

Hans

Thanks Hans. I see that would be a good option, with the only limitation that I am traditionally a Macintosher, and GSAK requires some kind of Microsoft OS, which is non-existent in my household. But GSAK seems to be the best solution for my task.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:31 PM, lee737 said:

(...)

Could you split the GPX of the walk into sub-sections? - this might preserve the resolution of the track.

(...)

Yes, that is an option, but some manual work, which I would like to avoid.

Thanks for all replies! All of them are helpful!

Edited by Rag_De
typos
On 1/24/2024 at 10:23 PM, HHL said:

Another way to go: XC Trails (hier klicken)

(Die Seite hat allerdings eine extrem gewöhnungsbedürftige Oberfläche.)

256501822958e9eb9dc8dbe3983b03a9.png

Hans

Hey! That worked very well!

Much better than geocaching.com or project-gc.com tools. Issue solved: High resolution of .gpx is kept, and a bit more than 1000 Caches are identified within 500 meters of my track. Now, I can start walking, stay offline and decide on the way, how much diversion I may take :-)

Thanks Hans!

• Upvote 1