Leap day DT grid

Seeker Badger

On 1/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, Seeker Badger said:

Hi,

I understand there is a Project GC add on for a DT grid completed on 29th February. I don’t think I’ll ever achieve this but can someone please advise me how to check my stats for that day only for found caches. Thank you

Never say never! We are planning on doing all 81 in one day next month (and squeezing in a mega while we are at it). No sleep for us!

On 1/14/2024 at 12:58 AM, Hügh said:

This Challenge checker will list all Badgegen badges for which the "Leapday" addon is possible to earn. Scroll down to "The Matrix Cacher".

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/80820

You have my undying gratitude for that 'not a checker' - it has been incredibly helpful in planning various elements of our interstate trip next month.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:20 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

I question whether it is physically possible to do all 81 D/T ratings, if properly rated, in one day.

In theory, sure could be done.

Cover the D's with puzzles of accurate rating, get solved coordinates for 81 caches that are not difficult mentally to find.

Cover the 5T's with a short 9-cache paddle.

Cover 3-4.5 T's with a trail of tree relevant climbs.

Cover anything less along the trail with perhaps a bit of bushwacking, or whatever 'feels' accurate for their T's.

Ontario has I think quite a few 81-cache runs; many are arguably inaccurate, but we have the regional rating habits to make pretty accurate DT rated series, with many forests, lakes, rivers, trails, close enough to each other to provide what most would consider accurate DT ratings for a full 81.

Of course everyone knows a difficult 4.5 terrain tree climb still can't hold a candle to a 4.5T multi-night wilderness trek to a wild and remote backcountry geocache. But is the T accurate for both? That's a whole different discussion :P I would say a full grid in the latter mindset wouldn't be feasible, not unless all 81 are within range and basically all high T's are still placed close to each other.

But theoretically, I do think it's possible.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

But theoretically, I do think it's possible.

I had a similar analysis. The higher D ratings could be covered by puzzle difficulties, with time spent solving the puzzles before the one-day run. The T5 ratings could be covered by specialized equipment, ideally using the same specialized equipment for all the T5 caches. The other higher T ratings could be covered by a single hike where the terrain ratings slowly climbed until you got to the T4.5 caches at the end of the hike.

But I hadn't really considered tree climbs as a way to get highter T ratings.

But theoretically, it's possible to do with accurately rated caches.

Of course, in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice,...