Questions about mystery caches

Tyltt

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask some questions about mystery caches :).

- Let's say I put on the page of a Mystery Cache I want to post a text that you have to decipher. Once you decipher it, the text says to you have to go to X museum near the cache (entrance free for everyone in this scenario) and find information that you can translate into the true coordinates through X process (the Mystery Cache is set at bogus coordinates). Is this mystery cache allowed ?

- Let's say at the set coordinates of a Mystery Cache I want to post, you find some information on a piece of paper. You have to combine this information and other information found on the Mystery Cache page to find the coordinates of the physical container. Is this a Mystery Cache, a Multi-Cache or neither and not allowed until I make changes so it fits in either* category ?

- Let's say I want to make a Bonus Cache. To find this bonus cache, you need codes written on physical elements that you can find on the path of Mystery Caches that I have placed in the area. The is one code written for one physical element for one Mystery cache. These physical elements are not needed to complete the puzzles behind said Mystery Caches, and you can only find them using hidden information that you might encounter while solving the Mystery Caches' puzzles. A code won't work if you haven't completed the puzzle of the Mystery Cache associated to the physical element you found the code on.  Is this Bonus Cache allowed ?

- Finally, I would like to clear some of the confusion I have about the difference between Mystery Caches and Multi-Caches. The page about their differences seems to indicate that for the both of them, the first stage can be (or should be for Multi-Caches) at the indicated coordinates. You can also have the second stage be locked behind a short puzzle, and this second stage be the final stage of the cache. What would have to be the difference between the Mystery Cache and the Multi-Cache in these conditions ? The complexity of the puzzle ? Can you post a Mystery Cache that's obtained the exact same way as a Multi-cache, omit to tell it on the cache page, and still get a positive response from your reviewer ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :).

3 hours ago, Tyltt said:

- Finally, I would like to clear some of the confusion I have about the difference between Mystery Caches and Multi-Caches. The page about their differences seems to indicate that for the both of them, the first stage can be (or should be for Multi-Caches) at the indicated coordinates. You can also have the second stage be locked behind a short puzzle, and this second stage be the final stage of the cache. What would have to be the difference between the Mystery Cache and the Multi-Cache in these conditions ? The complexity of the puzzle ? Can you post a Mystery Cache that's obtained the exact same way as a Multi-cache, omit to tell it on the cache page, and still get a positive response from your reviewer ?

FWIW, I've seen regional differences in the distinction between multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches. I'm used to caches being listed as multi-caches if you go to the posted coordinates, collect information (reading signs, counting objects, etc.), and derive the final coordinates using basic arithmetic and substitution. Anything more complicated than basic arithmetic and substitution turns it into a mystery/puzzle cache.

But I've geocached in an area where caches that used basic arithmetic and substitution were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches, and I've seen areas where caches that have you collect information at the posted coordinates were consistently listed as multi-caches even if you needed to use the information to solve a complex puzzle.

So as I said, there are regional differences. As Keystone suggested, ask your local volunteer reviewer.

• Upvote 1
On 10/21/2023 at 10:19 PM, Tyltt said:

What would have to be the difference between the Mystery Cache and the Multi-Cache in these conditions ?

I think that the answer to your question is "research that goes beyond reading the cache page". The player should be able to solve a multi-cache with GPS receiver and printed copy of the cache description.