Collection Trackables

LostTruckDriver

35 minutes ago, LostTruckDriver said:

I have a few Trackables that are listed as collectable. I've add them to my "collection" now what do I do with them.

They can be logged with a Discover Log or a Note Log.  This is a fine setup if you bring your Trackables to Events for people to see.

Because the Collection removes them from your Inventory, this also helps declutter your Inventory list when you make logs with your active Trackables at caches.  The Collection simplifies things for people with a large number of Trackable items that are not in play.  If you have no particular reason for moving them to your Collection, it's probably a better idea to move them back into your Inventory instead.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, LostTruckDriver said:

Ok. So someone(cacher A) marks a Trackable as collectable.  And a cacher (cacher B) picks it up and puts it in their collection.Does cacher B  then release the Trackable back into the wild or keep it indefinitely?

That is entirely up to the owner of the Trackable item.  The "Collection" is designed as a way for honest persons to document who is holding what Trackable and why.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 10/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, LostTruckDriver said:

I have a few Trackables that are listed as collectable. I've add them to my "collection" now what do I do with them.

If it's really in your collection, now you can (if you'd like...) bring it/them with you at events, or on the trail, to be Discovered  by others.

Usually a collection is a lot of trackables, mostly for show, like someone who collects stamps or coins.

On 10/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, LostTruckDriver said:

Ok. So someone(cacher A) marks a Trackable as collectable.  And a cacher (cacher B) picks it up and puts it in their collection.Does cacher B  then release the Trackable back into the wild or keep it indefinitely?

This is where people who like to push buttons mess up.   ;)

Marking it "collectible" alone allows another to take your trackable and put it in their collection.  Legal hoarding.

My activated trackables not in collection (and in inventory) are all marked Not Collectible...  

Edited by cerberus1
ins outs...
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

This is where people who like to push buttons mess up.   ;)

Marking it "collectible" alone allows another to take your trackable and put it in their collection.  Legal hoarding.

My activated trackables not in collection (and in inventory) are all marked Not Collectible...  

+1

That's a very good point!  Marking an item Collectible enables it to be placed into a Collection (but that's two separate steps).  If a TO is not actively trying to get a Trackable into a Collection, it should be selected back to "Not Collectible"... even if it's currently in a Collection ...because at that point the "Collectible" setting is not serving any purpose.

If a TO is intent to get a Trackable into a Collection, there should be clear expectations typed into the TB description, or at least into a log.  Perhaps the TO will be asleep when the intended person will be adding it to his Collection (on the other side of the world, for example).  Or maybe the plan is that anyone may add it to their Collection, an open offer.  Collection/Collection can be used in various ways.  Clicking buttons just to see what happens - that's a bad way.  It's best to have a clear, written plan, and to know what steps to perform and why.

The Collection is also not a way to get your TB stolen.  You can't lose it by having it in someone else's Collection.  And the reason is, the Collection is a system that allows honest people to document who is keeping a Trackable and why.  At the whim of the TO who can request it placed back into play at any time, and the request is respected.  If the idea were that you could get your coveted TB stolen by using the Collection, this whole system is a super convoluted way to do so.  It's much simpler for thieves to just pocket the thing, without all the paperwork.

AND if you in fact were giving your TB away, "Collectible/Collection" is not the way to do that.

Edited by kunarion
13 minutes ago, We4Fullers said:

I had a geocoin adopted by someone else after I sent the offer to them but forgot I still had it in collections. Now that it's in his name and possession I can't remove In My Collection on my end since im not owner any more. So it's stuck on his end with no options 

many help

When functions are scrambled, it's best to contact the Help Center:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/

But when you ask them, you'll likely need to be specific about which Geocoin it is.

Yes we know which coin I gave them, they are the owner now and have adopted it; but I can't remove it from my inventory? Probably I didn't have Collectable checked, but anyway unable to remove from my inventory even though I'm no longer owner

yup I reach out to them hopefully theyll fix the bug 🐞 

Edited by We4Fullers
2 hours ago, We4Fullers said:

Yes we know which coin I gave them, they are the owner now and have adopted it; but I can't remove it from my inventory? Probably I didn't have Collectable checked, but anyway unable to remove from my inventory even though I'm no longer owner

yup I reach out to them hopefully theyll fix the bug 🐞 

Has the new owner made any logs on the coin?  If it's still in your inventory, the person holding it should make a Grab log so it is in their inventory.

It's hard for me to guess, without specific information.