Garmin 750i or 67i (or eTrex 32x)

On 8/3/2023 at 4:24 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Prepare for everyone to tell you to just use your phone and not buy a GPSr.

Of the models you listed, the 67 is the most capable and the battery will last a very, very long time.

When I geocache there is a lot to type in - it will be (much) easier with a touch screen, don't you think? But of course the battery lasts much better on a 67i.

It's a zillion times easier to type (or voice) logs on a cellphone than any heldheld device including the Montana. Even a $30 cellphone can do that but no Garmin can.  Even a $30 cellphone can do voice dictation, smart typing, and such but Garmin still can't. 

Garmin decided to basically throw in the towel on touch screens with the exception of the Montana (mostly for motorcycles) and they probably went off internal data to realize that touch screens simply weren't selling. 

35 minutes ago, gpsblake said:

It's a zillion times easier to type (or voice) logs on a cellphone than any heldheld device including the Montana. Even a $30 cellphone can do that but no Garmin can.  Even a $30 cellphone can do voice dictation, smart typing, and such but Garmin still can't. 

And it's easier still to type detailed logs on a proper keyboard in front of a PC at home after a day of caching. I just mark caches as Found on my Garmin and then, if there are more than just my usual one or two, I can upload the geocache_visits.txt file to the website as Drafts where I can flesh out the logs.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Hi Torben,

I am thinking of a new device aswell. At the moment I use a Montana 680t. It still does its job, but batterytime is just about 8 hours. Of course it is easier to use a smartphone, which I do for logging purposes, but when you need a little bit more precission and it should last for a longer time, than I prefer a GPS-Device - because it was build for this purpose.

The Montana 680t weighs about 300 gr. - I would say it is a little bit more. That does not sound much but my rectractable, 16 or 18 oz., cannot hold this device in place. The Montana 700 (400 gr.), 700i (410 gr.) or 750i  (410 gr.) are too heavy for this.

The GPSMAP 67(i) are both about 230 gr. Much better IMHO.

I don't know if I ever would need inReach and the usage is quite expensive. But at least I would have the option to book it. They offer different packages.

I have an offline-map with my smartphone and with the gps device. I think the small display of the GPSMAP would be more than enough for me.

Just go to the product websites and compare the 67i, 700 and 750i and the device which fits your technical requirements best is the device to choose.

I personaly aim for the 67i.

Best wishes

Stephan

Edited by DieRibbis

Recently purchased the Garmin 700i w/o the camera and am happy with it's functionality and accuracy in Geocaching.  In our case, THERE IS A LOT TO LEARN coming from an old Magellan Explorist 710 is through.

Main reason for the purchase is; the size of the screen for these ole eyes and the iN Reach capability during many off road events/travels should something happen to us.  

My saved off road tracks (in GPX format) do load right up also the the 700i.  Routes that I hand made on Vantage Point (from Magellan) may not load up w/o conversion to some other source though.  Don't know yet really.  Base Camp wants to be a PIA to load too.

We still use the phone to load FOUND remarks as a faster way to move on.  Again, that learning curve comes into play but the 700i will work when there is no cell service I believe.  Best wishes either-way, you decide!