GPS app recommendation

Hi, I’m a fairly new return to the geocaching community, and have found/read that the geocaching app’s gps function seems to be really poor, freezing up frequently. I was wondering what gps apps you all would recommend? 

Hubby and I really enjoy caching, but get frustrated with how the location freezes and jumps around all the time.

We’re in Canada, if that makes a difference.

TIA!

Edited by shadowfax_19
17 hours ago, shadowfax_19 said:

Hi, I’m a fairly new return to the geocaching community, and have found/read that the geocaching app’s gps function seems to be really poor, freezing up frequently. I was wondering what gps apps you all would recommend? 

Hubby and I really enjoy caching, but get frustrated with how the location freezes and jumps around all the time.

We’re in Canada, if that makes a difference.

TIA!

I've had slow phones, and Cachly (iPhone), Geooh Go and Locus Maps (Android), among others, worked a little differently and helped some.  Pretty much just get and try interesting-looking Apps yourself and see what you think.  Try the ones with free trials, which is most of them.  Beware that there's a high turnover of 3rd-party Geocaching Apps, and several that I've bought, liked and used over the years are gone.

Through all of the phone App issues, my Garmin GPS (Oregon 750T, and there are several other perfectly suitable handhelds) has no trouble with showing me GPS related things.  So that's what I rely on while Geocaching.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I'm a newbie too (2 months with 168 finds)  using an android smart phone I've found 2 good supported sites.

Project-GC.com -  for all the stats you can handle ( i only use the free version) its chock full of things you want to fill like D/T , badges and the lot.

Geocaching toolbox.com -  as the name implies it has all sorts of helpful tools, translators, converters,

Edited by robertlipe
Approved, but noting these are sites and not apps...
  • Upvote 1
On 7/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, Keystone said:

What kind of smartphone do you have?  Android? iPhone?  Something else?

I have an iPhone and have more data on my phone plan than my husband who uses Android. So, both technically, but iPhone recommendations would be better.

Edited by shadowfax_19
Additional info