Found a trackable marked as missing

BirdSearcher

There is probably a thread on this topic somewhere already… but here is my problem: I just found a trackable that was marked as missing , 5 years ago ( by a cacher who is not the TBO) I can see this info on the app when I enter the tracking code in the search. (I can see the last 5 or so logs for  the trackable )

When I enter the tracking code on  the app to try to log it (I.e. write note or retrieve)I get ‘tracking code invalid’

When I search via the website here https://www.geocaching.com/track/  I get ‘no results found’ 

What is my next step? 

Edited by BirdSearcher
9 hours ago, BirdSearcher said:

Thanks for your reply , the number is correct, I will try messaging the owner. Do they need to ‘unlock’ it? (So that I can retrieve it) 

No. Even a trackable marked as missing can be retrieved. It's marked as in "an unknown location", so you can "grab it" or "retrieve it" from that "unknown location".

If and when you are able to do that, then "visit" it in the cache you found it in, then continue on your way.

What's the REFERENCE code on the trackable's page? (Not the secret tracking code)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for your reply, but When I enter the tracking code I don’t get the option to Retrieve, only Write Note. The trackable is TB7K1V2 but when I search for it via the website I get ‘No results found’..

By the way the cache I found it in, was not its last known location (I guess that is obvious)

Edited by BirdSearcher
9 minutes ago, BirdSearcher said:

Thanks for your reply, but When I enter the tracking code I don’t get the option to Retrieve, only Write Note

Ok that’s weird , I just tried again and now I have the options!! The app was acting up for me yesterday…

I will put it back in circulation, thanks for your help.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1