Checkbox option log verified

BeEvy

I am a geocache owner who checks his log books effectively. To make this easier, I think it would be helpful to have a checkbox option on the logs. Now you can already indicate whether you find it a "nice story" or "useful". It does not seem so difficult to me to add an extra item, namely "log checked by owner" or something like that. Then one could simply go through the names on the log one by one and cross out from having checked them on the geocaching site.

What do you guys think about this?

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, BeEvy said:

... I think it would be helpful to have a checkbox option on the logs .... namely "log checked by owner" or something like that. ...

What do you guys think about this?

As it stands now, anyone can rate the log as "Nice Story", "Helpful", etc.  The "Log checked by owner" that you propose would need to be accessible to check ONLY by the cache owner (but viewable by all?), so the programming might be a bit more tricky.

As a cache owner (15 active, and an Adventure Lab, so not a huge amount) I am able to keep track of what's happening with my caches, and check logs if something seems suspicious.  I generally read the logs when I get the email, and take action if it seems indicated.  I'll check the physical logsheets if warranted, or just if I happen to be in the area, but I don't visit the website cache page as often.  I doubt I would feel inclined to check a box on every log, whether I had checked the actual logsheet or not.

My personal thought is this is unnecessary, and an extra step that would bnot be used often (I could be wrong, though!).  Cache owners that have many more caches than I and a lot more logs to "check" would likely be even less inclined than me to check off all those logs, I think.  

Do you take action (log deletion, contact the finder?) if you aren't able to verify the log?  I applaud you for being so diligent in checking and verifying the logs on your caches - and my guess is that many cache owners are not so diligent (some are, yes, but most are not.) I do check on mine from time to time, especially if something seems "off", but I really don't need a special checkbox on the cache log to tell me  if I have reconciled the log online with the physical logsheet.

Just my 2¢

21 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

As a cache owner (15 active, and an Adventure Lab, so not a huge amount) I am able to keep track of what's happening with my caches, and check logs if something seems suspicious.  I generally read the logs when I get the email, and take action if it seems indicated.  I'll check the physical logsheets if warranted, or just if I happen to be in the area, but I don't visit the website cache page as often.  I doubt I would feel inclined to check a box on every log, whether I had checked the actual logsheet or not.

While I have a fair few more active caches (46), the most number of finds on any of them in 2022 was eight and six of them had no finds at all. I often go and check on a cache after it's been found, more to make sure it's been put back properly than to check the log. Usually I can tell from the online log whether it's likely to be legitimate or not, but if the log just says "TFTC" or "K" or something, I'm more likely to check. It's not easy with the newer PM cachers who've never visited the website, though, as many seem to be signing logs with their real name rather than their caching name.

So in a nutshell, then, it's not something I'd find useful, but if it were implemented I'd rather it only be visible to the CO, lest it start generating whispered allegations of impropriety.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Do you take action (log deletion, contact the finder?) if you aren't able to verify the log?  I applaud you for being so diligent in checking and verifying the logs on your caches - and my guess is that many cache owners are not so diligent (some are, yes, but most are not.) I do check on mine from time to time, especially if something seems "off", but I really don't need a special checkbox on the cache log to tell me  if I have reconciled the log online with the physical logsheet.

I do take action by first contacting the finder that I can't find on the logpaper and according to the answer I receive, I take further actions. So if necessary, I delete the log. 

The checkbox for me is more so ,when I retrieved the logbook that is almost full, I can check wich one are on the logbook and on the website. I also read the logs by mail and only check the website when I check it with the logbook.

Edited by BeEvy
14 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

So in a nutshell, then, it's not something I'd find useful, but if it were implemented I'd rather it only be visible to the CO, lest it start generating whispered allegations of impropriety.

That would be my idea also, just visible for the CO. Its not the idea for everyone to see that you check it or something. Just an helpful tool for me as owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, BeEvy said:

That would be my idea also, just visible for the CO. Its not the idea for everyone to see that you check it or something. Just an helpful tool for me as owner.

Thank you for the clarification. If this were visible to others, then I could see this turning into a source of angst (when finders demand that owners mark their logs as verified).