Larger map icon

DaJaView

2 hours ago, DaJaView said:

My map on the app only shows a cluster of caches around my current location. The world map icon is missing. How do I see a larger map so I can plan a trip. I used to be able to pull out and see a regional or even world view. 

I would have to zoom way in to plan anything for a trip. Which is what I do: zoom and pan.

Screenshot_20230102-215051.png

Edited by Max and 99

Well, there's the map on the website, which if viewed on a tablet, laptop, or computer monitor, would give you a bigger view than your phone. Both are available if you click the "Play" drop-down menu at https://geocaching.com.

The search map does not zoom out to a world view. The browse map does. But keep in mind that zooming out to the world view is going to be a little cluttered. Take, for example, this browse map view, zoomed out to show North America and Europe:

image.thumb.png.507dc927e9d98b533d8c68f36f2ba989.png

Not so useful, right?

I did find the world view map helpful if I only looked at webcam caches - but that required me to filter out over 99% of active geocaches.

image.png.8024350f58353f19db12e50befba1a1d.png

(And since the maroon dots are community celebration events that can't be filtered out, I had to actually use a bookmark list of webcam caches to get a meaningful result.)

image.thumb.png.6856be2c39dc0340a12b27793791bae4.png

So. For meaningful results, I'd recommend not trying to see the world. Focus on a specific type or area, or other search criteria (larges only? caches hidden before 1/1/2002?) first.

• Love 1