How do I disable/enable cache visibility on a etrex 30

spartan77777

I have a couple groups of cache files in .GPX format pointing to different regions loaded on an etrex 30 sd card. As soon as I load the geocache gpx files on the etrex base or SD card, they are always showing.  I am not always geocaching.  When I am on a hike I rather not see the geocache data.  It both slows the loads and eats away from the limited screen space.  Is there a way I can enable or disable  the geocaches from visibility on the map?  I tries to use the geocache filter but that only appears to be working when I am actually searching for a cache.  IF I am in the hike mode, even if all geocaches by type are unselected they are still visible on the map and creates a nuisance.  Also there appears to be no way to limit to loading from only one region of caches, system apparently loads all gpx files available on the storage into the memory.  Is there any means of control available for that.