"Upgrade to see more" message on phone

BandL1991

When I am logged in on my computer I can see caches that are available , but then when I open the Geocaching app on my phone, some of the caches are grey and say I need to upgrade to see them. Any reason why this is happening? I don't go hunting with my laptop, so now I try to compare the website with the app, and take notes on the ones that are unavailable to me on the app.  We are new to geocaching, and have enjoyed it, but I don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet. I don't want to upgrade yet, as there are a number of free caches to find, but it's frustrating to see them on the computer at home, and then realize when we are on our adventure that we can no longer access it. 

1 hour ago, BandL1991 said:

When I am logged in on my computer I can see caches that are available , but then when I open the Geocaching app on my phone, some of the caches are grey and say I need to upgrade to see them. Any reason why this is happening?

Yes - it's basically a paywall. Premium members don't have that restriction.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BandL1991 said:

When I am logged in on my computer I can see caches that are available , but then when I open the Geocaching app on my phone, some of the caches are grey and say I need to upgrade to see them. Any reason why this is happening? I don't go hunting with my laptop, so now I try to compare the website with the app, and take notes on the ones that are unavailable to me on the app.  We are new to geocaching, and have enjoyed it, but I don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet. I don't want to upgrade yet, as there are a number of free caches to find, but it's frustrating to see them on the computer at home, and then realize when we are on our adventure that we can no longer access it. 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=5

This will help explain the different benefits of premium membership, one of which includes Full access on the geocaching app.

This chart shows what's available on the app for basic vs. premium members:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

14 hours ago, BandL1991 said:

Put a web browser on your phone.  Then you can access the caches shown on the web site after you leave home.  Beware that, premium or not, many caches will pretty much need to be viewed on a real web browser on a PC (and not a phone browser).

Greyed out cache icons are "Advanced", a little tough for someone just now installing the App who just wants to see how cool it is to find a cache, yet is still learning how Geocaching Apps work.  And the gray icons are a premium benefit in The App(s).

The Apps (Official and Partner Apps) show only the easier caches.  The web site shows all but Premium caches.  Before you start an adventure, check the web site, and make a note of caches to hunt.  Enter their coordinates into some GPS App such as the Official Geocaching App, and go find all the caches you like for free.  Or upgrade to Premium Member and have them all on the Apps and more.  You pay for the convenience.  OTOH, depending on what kinds of caches you hunt, even as a PM you might be entering coordinates by hand even more often than you did as a basic member.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1