Searching using 'Found By'

theflights

Does anyone else have a similar problem to this?...

1.  When clicking on filters in the 'Search Geocaches' map page there is no option to search by 'Found by'.  That option is present when searching via 'Play' and 'Search' and clicking on filters.  

2.  When going to 'Search' via the 'Play' menu, then clicking on filters to search using 'Found by', the list then appears as normal.  However, the 'map these geocaches' option, normally on the left above the list, is not there, neither is the 'Add to List' option.  These options are there on any search I've tried not using the 'Found by' feature.

• Surprised 1
5 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I seem to remember this being discussed before and I think (though can't be certain) that it's intentional and is something to do with privacy concerns, making it more difficult (though not impossible) to stalk someone and see where they hang out.

Thanks for your reply.

That's a shame if that's the case.  Three of us regularly go out together but when one isn't available we try to do caches they have already done, keeping ones we all haven't done to do together. 

3 hours ago, theflights said:

1.  When clicking on filters in the 'Search Geocaches' map page there is no option to search by 'Found by'.  That option is present when searching via 'Play' and 'Search' and clicking on filters.  

This is a expected, as mapping caches that are found by other players is not possible.

3 hours ago, theflights said:

2.  When going to 'Search' via the 'Play' menu, then clicking on filters to search using 'Found by', the list then appears as normal.  However, the 'map these geocaches' option, normally on the left above the list, is not there, neither is the 'Add to List' option.  These options are there on any search I've tried not using the 'Found by' feature.

This is expected. Learn more in the related release notes here: 

6 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

making it more difficult (though not impossible) to stalk someone and see where they hang out.

Good luck to anyone trying to figure out where I hang out from this map of my finds:

image.png.ab3db9d2089a0f6836c5bdd11062141a.png

As for stalking someone, a cacher's finds are surely the places they are least likely to go back to, aren't they?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 6/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:
On 6/24/2022 at 2:05 PM, theflights said:

This is a expected, as mapping caches that are found by other players is not possible.

Why is it not possible to map caches found by others?  Is it a privacy thing?  If so, would it be possible to consider allowing us to map caches found by people in our 'friends' group?

• Helpful 1