Milestone stages

Am I the only person who thinks that the stages for "official" milestones needs altering?

Up to 1,000 everything is fine: milestones at 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, then each 100th.

Then each 1,000th up to 10,000. But then the next isn't until 20,000. 

I'm a fairly prolific cacher, but currently on 12,600 or so - it's going to be a long while before my next official milestone. Personally, I still make a note of each 100th, but I think that the system should record each 1,000th (as Project GC does - it also records the 500th milestones between 1,000 and 5,000).

Okay, it may not matter much to a lot of people, but on the other hand this would be (I think) a minimal change that would be of benefit for some of us bean-counters!

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 3

I think the first milestone I did something special for was my 500th, but since the average cacher has a low find count the lower milestones might mean more to them.

I would like my profile to have a milestone for every thousand caches, from 1000 onward. I suppose maybe above 50,000 it could go down to every 10,000.

2 hours ago, ErewashPaddler said:

I'm a fairly prolific cacher, but currently on 12,600 or so - it's going to be a long while before my next official milestone. Personally, I still make a note of each 100th, but I think that the system should record each 1,000th (as Project GC does - it also records the 500th milestones between 1,000 and 5,000).

I live in an area where there aren't that many caches (my local region, the New South Wales Central Coast in Australia, has about 500 in total) and those we do have tend to be more the higher D/T requiring some time and effort to complete rather than large numbers of 1.5/1.5 urban micros. I reached my 1000 milestone in May 2019, just over six years after I started caching, and from about 500 onwards I tried to do something special and memorable for each milestone cache. I'm now just shy of 1500 finds so it'll likely be another three years before I reach the next official milestone at 2000, probably longer as I now have to travel further and further afield to do any caching. While it makes sense to have the milestones on a logarithmic progression, the sudden jump from every 100 finds prior to 1000 to then only every 1000 finds after that, is pretty abrupt, so adding every 500th cache between 1000 and 5000 (and likewise every 5000th cache between 10,000 and 20,000) would make sense.

I literally cache every day, and for me milestones at 1 000 interval are a rarity.* At 10 000 interval I will literally stop caring as it's just way too far away.

I don't care about which cache happens to be the milestone as that is likely to get changed later anyway. (Without checking I know I have at least two "finds" that I would have to backdate that I can't log online yet).

* And as I've suggested before, the app should show how many caches until I reach the next milestone, not "next milestone at 3000 caches".

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1