Tools to create routes on European topo maps and download to an Android app

Hello,

Up until now I've used Basecamp with my eTrex 30x to create routes on French topographic maps that I bought from Garmin. But I recently broke my eTrex and I can't seem to make the eTrex 32x that I bought for it work.  I have really become fed up with Garmin and its complicated products and I'm looking for an equivalent solution to use on my Android smartphone.

I am looking for solution which I could (preferably on my PC) create routes on digital French topographic maps in the public domain which I could then save in gpx format and download to an app on my Smartphone which would display the route on the same topographic maps I used to create the route.

Any suggests for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Anybody using Locus Map 4 Outdoor Navigation?

RitC.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
5 hours ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Up until now I've used Basecamp with my eTrex 30x to create routes on French topographic maps that I bought from Garmin. But I recently broke my eTrex and I can't seem to make the eTrex 32x that I bought for it work.

The eTrex 32x operates identically to the 30x, and has virtually identical specs other than increased memory to make room for the included TopoActive maps. Any process you were using with the 30x should carry over seamlessly. If you can share more details about those processes and precisely what is not working for you with the 32x, perhaps someone here can get you over that hurdle?

5 hours ago, RakeInTheCache said:

I have really become fed up with Garmin and its complicated products

I can see how this could be a reasonable response to one of their top of the line flagship devices, like the Montana 7x0 or perhaps even a GPSMAP 66, with all their advanced features and functions sometimes becoming overwhelming for some users... But for an eTrex? These are (and always have been) by far the simplest devices Garmin produces.

7 hours ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Anybody using Locus Map 4 Outdoor Navigation?

I use it, for navigation and caching.  Very impressed with it.  Locus should do what you describe above, assuming it can load those particular maps.  But I'm guessing it will; it's very flexible about map sources.

Clarification: it should do what you describe, on the phone or tablet.  There's a web planner as well, but that version has a choice of only one map or satellite view.  Locus' in-app route planner (eg Android) is more full-featured, and works with all the maps available.

Once planned, you can get turn-by-turn directions.  "After 20 metres, turn right."

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1
On 4/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, Atlas Cached said:

If you can share more details about those processes and precisely what is not working for you with the 32x, perhaps someone here can get you over that hurdle?

I ended up returning the device.  A number of showstoppers, first is I had a fairly large collection of topo maps purchased from Garmin.  I was really surprised to read on their site that these don't transfer to a new device so big investment lost just because the device fell on a rock and shattered.  Second, there is no support forum for the eTrex.  Third I sent a few e-mails to their support address (for France) and never got any reply.  Fourth, I initiated the device with my old SIM card in it and that caused complications I could not undo. I tried following the instructions to do a factory restart and could not get it to work. Conclusion, the device is clunky, slow, complicated, and Garmin provides no useful suppotr for this device.  

Edited by RakeInTheCache
28 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

I ended up returning the device.  A number of showstoppers, first is I had a fairly large collection of topo maps purchased from Garmin.  I was really surprised to read on their site that these don't transfer to a new device so big investment lost just because the device fell on a rock and shattered.  Second, there is no support forum for the eTrex.  Third I sent a few e-mails to their support address (for France) and never got any reply.  Fourth, I initiated the device with my old SIM card in it and that caused complications I could not undo. I tried following the instructions to do a factory restart and could not get it to work. Conclusion, the device is clunky, slow, complicated, and Garmin provides no useful suppotr for this device.  

Yes, maps that you buy are locked to the device that you register them with. It sucks, but going forward, be aware that there are great (and sometimes even better) free alternatives you can use.

This is pretty much your support forum for Garmin handheld GPS. Garmin has never maintained forums specific to handhelds. Who knows why, but the Geocaching community has picked up that slack.

Sucks they didn't email you back. Did you try calling their European support office?

There are no SIM cards for GPS devices. They don't connect to cellular networks and thus don't need a data plan/phone identification number. So don't try putting a SIM card in a Garmin handheld. Perhaps you meant SD card? Those should transfer just fine between devices. 

Yes, the eTrex devices are clunky and slow. They always have been. Now that I think about it, all GPS devices are slow. Probably because they are equipped with low-energy processors to save battery life. Though keep in mind that the eTrex line are their cheapest / introductory models, so don't expect them to be as feature rich or robust as a gpsMAP 66 or an Oregon model.

Garmin DOES still support the eTrex 22/32x. As long as they still produce and sell a product, they will support it. 

You can geocache and navigate with a phone just as well as you can with a Garmin GPS receiver, so in the end, you might be happier going that route. Those of us who are GPS diehards will still use them. But we do notice that without any real competition (Garmin IS the handheld GPS market) and a dwindling customer base, garmin hasn't had the incentive to develop these tools like they used to, and so they are dropping the ball on technology and performance. New models are often released with glaring bugs, and some lines are so overdue for an update that according to prior timelines, we'd be seeing a second next generation coming out by now (where's our Oregon update!?). I digress. As the button on my GPS is developing a hole and stops working properly, I find myself using the GPS less and less for geocaching and only as a hiking trip logger.

• Upvote 1