Russian GPS Prohibition

Team Dragon

an aquaintance of mine went to russia as part of an educational exchange. while there she gave a demonstration of gps use to a school class. afterwards she was put under surveillance for the remainder of her visit, and has had "problems" getting another visa to visit the country. the russians are seriously paranoid about mapping and plotting positions within their country. same person and her group had difficulty getting a map of the area in which they were working. beware. -harry

Took my Magellan 315 over there in October of 2000 and had no problems, even when I was going through the airport. When the security guard asked what it was, I told them it was an "electronic map". (Close enough) Passed right on through, although...

A few years before that, a visiting surveyor was caught with one, and he had accidentally marked a spot close to an unlisted Russian Military Base, and he ended up serving 6 months in a prison down in Rostov, until someone in Congress got him out, if I remember correctly...If you take one, keep it low profile, and remember to wipe out the memory before taking it out of the country....

I have non-consumer radio equipment (i.e. walkie-talkie, GPS, radio transmitter). Is it legal to bring it to Russia?

To avoid any inconveniences, your are strongly advised to declare that equipment at the Customs Control and consult a Customs officer. If it is forbidden in Russia, it will be put in Customs storage and returned to you when you leave Russia.

It looks like you should get permission from the Russian Embassy in San Fran BEFORE you go. Better yet, just keep it on you and keep it discrete. The only "inconvenience" you might run into is having to bribe someone with a $20 bill to keep it. No way am I gonna believe I would ever get it back if I let them put it "in Customs storage". Might as well kiss it bye-bye if you do that.

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

I have non-consumer radio equipment (i.e. walkie-talkie, GPS, radio transmitter). Is it legal to bring it to Russia?

To avoid any inconveniences, your are strongly advised to declare that equipment at the Customs Control and consult a Customs officer. If it is forbidden in Russia, it will be put in Customs storage and returned to you when you leave Russia.

It looks like you should get permission from the Russian Embassy in San Fran BEFORE you go. Better yet, just keep it on you and keep it discrete. The only "inconvenience" you might run into is having to bribe someone with a $20 bill to keep it. No way am I gonna believe I would ever get it back if I let them put it "in Customs storage". Might as well kiss it bye-bye if you do that.

A fellow ham radio operator I know has taken his radios in and out of Russia on more

than one occasion. Of course being a licensed ham they will allow of to take a radio as

long as you have your Lic. with you and have met their requirements.