How do i adopt my friend's cache who passed away?

luciofoz

15 minutes ago, luciofoz said:

My caching friend passed away and i want to adopt her caches.  I do not have her password and cannot get into her account. How do i get access to her caches to transfer them into my name?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=54

7.14. Adopt or transfer a geocache

Geocaching HQ will not process a transfer without permission from the original cache owner. Follow the steps below to transfer and adopt geocaches.

Steps for the original cache owner

Visit the geocache adoption tool.

Enter the GC code (GCXXX) and select Lookup.

Enter the username of the new owner and select Go.

Provide any additional information in the text box.

Select Send Adoption Request.

Note: Archived and legacy cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool nor Geocaching HQ can transfer Webcam, Locationless Cache types, or archived caches.

Steps for the new cache owner

When the original owner sends the adoption request, you will receive an email notification.

Visit the geocache adoption tool and accept the adoption request.

The cache page will transfer to your account.

Note: The owner name on the cache page will not change automatically, but it will link to the new owner’s profile. New owners often choose to edit the owner name to their username or “Placed by X and adopted by Y”.

Edited by Max and 99
37 minutes ago, luciofoz said:

My caching friend passed away and i want to adopt her caches.  I do not have her password and cannot get into her account. How do i get access to her caches to transfer them into my name?

My understanding is that Groundspeak can handle the adoption for you, if you can provide something from your caching friend, or from your caching friend's heirs, that indicates that you can adopt the cache.

The only other I option I can think of if you cannot locate the CO's password etc. or obtain permission from heirs, is to go to each of those caches and log each with a Write Note stating you are taking care and responsibility for that cache. I am not sure you would need to state why but it may be nice to add a story as to why you are making the cache yours.  

Or get all caches involved and ask for a reviewer to archive them ( explaining why)and resubmit them as yours; a bit more tedious method than simply adopting them though. 

Good luck.

Edit: This would be a last effort path, what niraD wrote would a path to pursue first. Should have included this statement in the original message. Check with your reviewer on best way it can be accomplished.

Edited by Jayeffel
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1