Editing and monitoring Adventure Labs

FliesHeartWorms

I recently had the pleasure of creating my first adventure lab. It was a VERY fun experience but I can't help but noting it's a bit disconnected from some of the things I really enjoy about hiding geocaches. I don't receive notification that someone has completed it, nor the reviews and ratings. i can't even readily look up the activity nor edit it -- i neglected to include the estimate for how long it would it take and now I can't add that. Does anyone know if there is (1) a good dashboard for adventure lab activity/ownership; (2) a better way to edit existing adventure labs; and (3) any plans to integrate adventure labs into the main geocaching dashboards?

• Funny 1
4 minutes ago, FliesHeartWorms said:

I recently had the pleasure of creating my first adventure lab. It was a VERY fun experience but I can't help but noting it's a bit disconnected from some of the things I really enjoy about hiding geocaches. I don't receive notification that someone has completed it, nor the reviews and ratings. i can't even readily look up the activity nor edit it -- i neglected to include the estimate for how long it would it take and now I can't add that. Does anyone know if there is (1) a good dashboard for adventure lab activity/ownership; (2) a better way to edit existing adventure labs; and (3) any plans to integrate adventure labs into the main geocaching dashboards?

It is quite easy to edit your adventure lab in any way you want and as often as you want! You can edit the description, the coordinates, the question and answer, and everything in the adventure lab. The only thing you should not edit is adding or removing a location, ever. This instruction is given in the builder.

Edited by Max and 99
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It is quite easy to edit your adventure lab in any way you want and as often as you want! You can edit the description, the coordinates, the question and answer, and everything in the adventure lab. The only thing you should not edit is adding or removing a location, ever. This instruction is given in the builder.

Yes, except don't EVER change the number of locations once the Adventure has gone live, otherwise really bad things happen. Go to labs.geocaching.com, log in, click on the down arrow thing in the top right and select My Adventures. Once in there, click on your Adventure and you can see the statistics and reviews as well as do any editing that might be needed.

image.png.e805cee7688751df558e53dab12e1e8c.png

• Upvote 1
On 2/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, FliesHeartWorms said:

I don't receive notification that someone has completed it, nor the reviews and ratings.

This is a problem with being a CO of an AL. You don't get notified when it's completed or logs from those who don't finish. It is up to you to keep an eye on the 'Statistics' in your AL dashboard and try to infer problems by watching the location completion numbers. You can only view the rating in the app and that is only the average of players who finished all 5 stages and bothered to rate it.

Putting together and maintaining a good AL is a lot of work and the only real reward for being a CO is feedback from players. This is sorely missing in ALs and will eventually lead to unmaintained adventures and unanswerable questions. The process feels unfinished and unsatisfying.

Edited by G0ldNugget
  • Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, G0ldNugget said:

It is up to you to keep an eye on the 'Statistics' in your AL dashboard and try to infer problems by watching the location completion numbers.

Even then there's often not much that can be deduced from those stats. For example, on my most recent AL:

image.png.6798e70bae8ca2672b1319f4ae81270a.png

There's nothing wrong with the first location, other than it being further to get to by road than the other four. Location 5 is in a tourist hotspot so it's not surprising it's had the most "finds".