Coords are correct, shows on map correct, but listing shows a state way way far away

Guwisti

So, I had a fellow cacher point out one of my archived caches to me. He noticed he had a find from Delaware when he shouldn't have. So on this cache, https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8YB8D_rainbow-embassy?guid=9b219aa4-e4c7-49b2-be4a-45198d44b1f8 it shows correctly on the map, has correct coordinates, but says the location is in Delaware when it's in Fort Smith, Arkansas. That's a new one for me. I have no idea if it was like this the entire time and he was the first one that noticed, or if it is something that changed recently. All we know is it says Delaware, coords correctly show Arkansas and now he has a Delaware souvenir. Ideas on what happened here?

• Funny 1

I may be mistaken, but don't you get to specify the location yourself when you create a cache listing? So it is not automatically deduced from the coordinates. I know I have seen caches here in Sweden that are said to be in another region than what the coordinates indicate.

• Upvote 2
On 2/3/2022 at 3:35 PM, ChriBli said:

I may be mistaken, but don't you get to specify the location yourself when you create a cache listing? So it is not automatically deduced from the coordinates. I know I have seen caches here in Sweden that are said to be in another region than what the coordinates indicate.

"Yes and no". For caches in some countries, like the US, the region is automatically deduced from the coordinates when the cachepage is created. It can still be changed manually and as Bl4ckH4wkGER mentions the region isn't automatically changed if the coordinates are updated. In Sweden the region is always set manually by the user, there's no automatic deduction based on coordinates. :) 

• Helpful 1
On 2/3/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Chances are pretty high that this was user error when setting up the cache page or they had planned to place on in Delaware and then repurposed the listing but forgot to update the region.

Your friend can reach out to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center to have the souvenir deleted.

Well it wasn't. I've never even been to Delaware and I definitely didn't repurpose a listing for a Delaware cache. When I created the cache and it was published it said Arkansas. Never edited the page and didn't even realize CO's could change the state and I most definitely didn't. All I did was archive it eventually. 

4 hours ago, OReviewer said:

As the Delaware reviewer, I fixed the state on the cache to put it back in Arkansas so anyone late logging this cache won't get the Delaware souvy by accident.

Thank you I guess. My state reviewer could have done that but I think we were kind of waiting to see if there was some sort of glitch in the matrix first. 

• Surprised 1
9 hours ago, Pleu said:

"Yes and no". For caches in some countries, like the US, the region is automatically deduced from the coordinates when the cachepage is created. It can still be changed manually and as Bl4ckH4wkGER mentions the region isn't automatically changed if the coordinates are updated. In Sweden the region is always set manually by the user, there's no automatic deduction based on coordinates. :) 

It was automatically placed in Arkansas when published. Never updated the coordinates for it. Don't know when it magically changed to Delaware but I did not change it. 

9 hours ago, Guwisti said:

It was automatically placed in Arkansas when published. Never updated the coordinates for it. Don't know when it magically changed to Delaware but I did not change it. 

Just to clarify: I just answered @ChriBlis question about if the field was manually or automatically populated, it was not intended as a an answer to your initial problem.