Another reason I waymark

iconions

Last evening, Mayfield, Kentucky got hit by a very large tornado.  I was lucky enough to get a few waymarks of the town, although now, in hindsight, I am kicking myself for not getting more pictures as there were (past  tense) great Victorian buildings contributing to the National Register.  I'm posting a picture of the Courthouse; news reports are showing that the ENITRE clock cupola has been destroyed and that the surrounding area looks like Godzilla completely stomped through.  Needless to say, prayers for all in the affected areas, as well as any support one can spare, would be great be appreciated.

This is why Waymarking isn't about numbers - it is about the moment in time we, as waymarkers, document.    Just my two cents.... 

Graves County Courthouse.jpg

• Love 1

The damage is astounding. The pictures I've seen look just like the destruction after the Moore Oklahoma tornado. It looks so so bad from the photos but when you get there in person it's worse than you could have ever imagined. When the streets were cleared a friend who lived in the area said you really have to come by in person to understand the extent of the destruction. 

I took photos of something outside a school while I was working there, and just a few months later that entire school with kids inside was flattened by a tornado. Gone. 

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The damage is astounding. The pictures I've seen look just like the destruction after the Moore Oklahoma tornado. It looks so so bad from the photos but when you get there in person it's worse than you could have ever imagined. When the streets were cleared a friend who lived in the area said you really have to come by in person to understand the extent of the destruction. 

I took photos of something outside a school while I was working there, and just a few months later that entire school with kids inside was flattened by a tornado. Gone. 

It's definitely an eerie feeling.  I know I survived an apartment fire back in '83 - I only kind of understand what people are going through.  Destruction on this scale - no, I can't comprehend.  Like I posted, I'm upset I didn't have more time to get more pictures of the town - I love late 19th century, early 20th commercial architecture and Mayfield was a typical town that had preserved the downtown area.  

11 hours ago, iconions said:

Needless to say, prayers for all in the affected areas, as well as any support one can spare, would be great be appreciated.

After having seen on the French news, the extent of the damage from this tornado, I pray for all these poor people who have lost everything. It looks like an apocalypse scene, what a shame not to see these old buildings, which were part of the American heritage.

And now with the fires from Colorado, some of my waymarks might no longer be standing. As I was watching a news video, I noticed that they showed a Target that I waymarked back in 2014. Being from SoCal, I've become accustomed to living with fires. Last year, one was within my city limits and had part of my city evacuated. Luckily, I wasn't part of that order, but I still think about what I would do if I needed to get out. I hope these fires in Colorado didn't cause any fatalities.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 1.00.02 PM.png