Cali Adventure !

RobAGD

Well on a visit to the Pomona / San Dimas area I did a few caches while in town for a paintball tournament.

A few things icon_smile.gif I now understand why lots of the Westies in the chat room love thier Topo maps, Those altitude changes can be a killer.

The views were awsome and hikes well worth it.

A few things - For people from out of town you might want to be a little more detailed in the parking instructions. Around here in VA you just cant pull up on the side of the road and park unless its a listed pull over area. While trying a few caches the pages listed Just park on the road, well with no parking signs about thats not a good idea.

I went after (GC2678) Prickly Pear 2 - Back and Better by OtisPug (2/1) only to find the park access closed and no public acess I could find ( later read the logs and found out about the construction )

Went after (GC4E4A) Sycamore Canyon Park by FullOn, MamaTurtle & MiniMe (2/1.5) which was fun in an odd way as how I got to the bottom of what is listed as a park but no park access that I could find. I got this one with some intresting foot work icon_smile.gif

Had a fun walk early in the morring at (GC299E) Walnut Creek Cache by OtisPug (2.5/3) This was just an awsome walk, My team said they couldnt get the S-eating grin off my face when I got back to the hotel.

WalnutCreek-pano-crop-sm.jpg

Tried for (GC6500) The non can cache by 4forfun (1.5/1) This one was a problem as the cords for this were between train tracks as near as I could tell and the nice Ca State Code violation sighs were a pleasent reminder not to jump the fence.

This was a longer than expected hike with a view that was out standing, too bad the haze kinda hurt it. (GCB60) Not a Helicopter Pad... by Jeff and Dan (1/1.5)

Helo-pad-pano-sm.jpg

and one of the first ones I did was (GC9AB8) Raging View by Geo Jeff (2/3) that was a great walk on a Saturday morring. The fields of cacti were rather intresting.

One of the last caches I did was this one (GC681B) Ridge Line by RomanKam (2/3.5) The hike wasn't all that intresting but teh view was well worth it.

ridgeline-pano-crop-sm.jpg

I had a great time and wish I could have stayed longer ! I will have to make it a week trip at some point and try to time it so I dont get quite as much haze in the sky.

-Robert

[This message was edited by RobAGD on March 11, 2003 at 01:08 PM.]

Ah but see the problem is that your from the area so it not quite the same as someone thats dosent live in the area trying to find parking or even some rather obscure entrance.

The fun is the hunt and for some that means all of it for others its not finding parking or and entrance to an obscure park.

Just something to think about for people that plan caches in areas that can see a high volume of traveling visitors.

-Robert

I believe that often part of the hunt is finding a good place for access. In cases where access is tricky, it might make sense for the hider to note that a good access spot exists.

I don't know that Rob's comment about being a local is really applicable. Most urban residents don't know that big an area (and metro L.A.-Orange County is huge) all that well.

RobAGD - Sorry that you couldn't find the parking for the Sycamore Canyon Park Cache. It's actually right on the main street that goes, by the park, but if you're just following the needle on the GPS you'll end up in a neighborhood and have a difficult time getting to the cache. I understand what you're saying about parking coords and how they would be helpful, but for myself, I kind of feel that's part of the hunt. Especially with a park where there's only one or two ways to get to it, parking should be fairly obvious. I find that MapQuest helps out a lot in these areas. I'll often access it and utilize the Arial Photo to plot what course I will take to a cache.

Overall it sounds like you had some pretty good adventures on your hunts. I've found all the caches you mentioned and they are all well worth it.

How did these compare with caches hidden in your neck of the woods as far as terrain and method of hiding go?

FullOn -

Well I have to say that rating wise your guys are rating lower than they would be here in Va. 2 Miles with those kind of Altitude change would rate a 2.5 or 3 ish. The hides them selves were about the same, I think to some extent there is only so much you can do to hid containers icon_smile.gif

On the Canyon Cache I parked across the street from a rather steep dectent using the concrete run offs icon_smile.gif Given how steep they were it was an intresting decent :-D The find itself was simple, I hit 6ft and planted my trecking pole and was less than 15 ft away.

I had a geneally good time, I would have liked to have snagged some more caches while out west and thats is the only reason I was a little miffed about parking and access to some places because I did many loops looking for what I would call ligit access to the cache areas. Next time I come out Ill have a laptop and map program that will allow me to look around areas a little better than I could with my V alone.

I WILL be back out, at 260 round trip its not too bad for a long weekend if I can get some monkey to split car cost with me icon_smile.gif

-Robert