Missing Caches

RonGerth

Has anybody else noticed that not all of the caches show up when you pull up your Geocaching App?  I pulled up an area and several of the caches in there were not showing up.  I went to the actual website and checked and they were there, enabled, and not dnf.  Shut off the app, tried again and same deal.  My app settings are to hide my finds and hide my hides but show the rest of the caches.  It happens in both of the areas that I have checked it out in.

What am I missing?  Has to be a switch or something I have set wrong.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by RonGerth
fixed a spelling error that really messed up the question
18 minutes ago, RonGerth said:

Has anybody else noticed that not all of the caches show up when you pull up your Geocaching App?  I pulled up an area and several of the caches in there were not showing up.  I went to the actual website and checked and they were there, enabled, and not dnf.  Shut off the app, tried again and same deal.  My app settings are to hide my finds and hide my hides but show the rest of the caches.  It happens in both of the areas that I have checked it out in.

What am I missing?  Has to be a switch or something I have set wrong.

Thanks

Ron

I did a quick comparison, using the app and website on different devices, and I can't find anything missing.

5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I did a quick comparison, using the app and website on different devices, and I can't find anything missing.

I know,  i have not checked other phones and have only checked the website on a couple of computers but it is consistent with my phone.  I am assuming I have a button pushed someplace that I need to unpush.  Weird.

Ron

2 hours ago, RonGerth said:

I know,  i have not checked other phones and have only checked the website on a couple of computers but it is consistent with my phone.  I am assuming I have a button pushed someplace that I need to unpush.  Weird.

Ron

Are there any patterns to the caches that are not showing on the app? I would consider doing a refresh of the filters, maybe?

A couple of thoughts. The app does a lot of internal caching, presumably to reduce the amount of mobile data usage, so it won't reload the caches in an area where it thinks it's previously loaded them, even if that previous load wasn't completely successful due to poor phone reception, server congestion or whatever. What I've found works sometimes is to pan well away so it starts loading a different bunch of caches, then once it's done that, pan back again and hopefully it'll reload the caches in the area you're interested in. Another thing that sometimes works is to log out and log back in again.

The other thought is to check your filter settings, particularly the Wonders promotion filters. If the missing caches seem to be random, it might just be because they don't have the right combination of Wonders. Newer caches in particular won't have any of the earlier Wonders (Modern and Ancient).

Yes, this is true for me, too.  No, there is no pattern to which caches are missing.  Since I often hunt for puzzles, for me I notice the puzzle caches are missing, but are readily available through the website.  It's really frustrating, too, because it requires a lot of flipping back and forth between the app and the website.  I have checked every possible setting, turned off certain filters, ie. turned off all caches except puzzles (in case there is a capacity algorithm), and the ones I'm looking for still don't show.  So irritating.  I may have a bunch of solved puzzles before taking off to find them, collect all the ones I find on the app, only to find a lot of them I passed right by because they didn't show up in the app.  They don't show on the map and they don't show on the list view.

• Helpful 1