Las Vegas advice please

GoodHunting

We will be in Las Vegas the end of July and we are looking for some advice. Here is some “background.”

1. We’ve never been to the desert.

2. We’re old (well at least older) and overweight.

3. Snakes and big bugs are OK in the Zoo, but we wouldn’t want to meet one in person.

4. We’re flatlanders who think 2 star terrains are enough.

Ok, so we want to drop off a couple of Travel Bugs while we are there (in the same cache). We will certainly visit Hoover Dam and might make a side trip to the Grand Canyon. Looking at the cache pages it seems that the near by caches are either virtual caches or higher terrain ratings.

Would anyone mind recommending a cache that we can find fairly easily (we’re still new at this) and wouldn’t wipe us out in the July heat?

Thanks

GoodHunting

I certainly hope you enjoy Las Vegas in July. It's not the hottest month, maybe second to August.

1. Never been to the desert. It's hot and dry, sometimes windy and very little shade. Take plenty of water, take your own shade and sun screen.

2. Who isn't kinda old and overweight?

3. The likelihood of meeting snakes or big bugs is small in the day time. Hell, it's just as hot for them as it is you. Actually the LV area has very few things in the way of poisonous snakes or bugs. A few sidewinders and black widows, both are more likely encountered in cooler or darker times than you when will be out geocaching. I would still not put my hand in any holes without checking first, in the desert even the plants bite.

4. Flatlanders, this leads to my suggestions for caches that should meet your requirements.

GC9BF, $5 Scarlet, About a tenth of a mile in a beautiful area.

GC49C5, Microwave 360, nearly a drive up with spectacular views.

GC4381, Mad Dash, It's in Arizona but you are going to the dam any way, it's only a little further.

GC29AD, Creepy Cache, strange but easy.

GC4F84, Lava-Lava-Lava, near Creepy cache, a little more difficult.

GC1E73, Near the last two with a short hike if you mss the road.

GC1496, Dam Railroad Cache, A beautiful 1/2 mile hike, it's on the way to the dam but may be a little hot in July.

GC4FF4, A multi cache, but near Creepy, Lava-Lava-Lava and El Dorado.

GC3F59, Lone Mt. Cache, a good one to see residential and under construction areas of Las Vegas.

That should take care of all your geocaching urges in LV. We will be out of town a lot during July, but e-mail me if you have questions.

[This message was edited by longwalker on June 08, 2002 at 09:17 AM.]

GC117 - Happy New Years" by Scott Seegmiller

Admittedly this wasn't attempted in the heat of July, but my (then four year old) daughter didn't balk at the climb.

There are several park benches on the way up to catch your breath.

Now, I'm not a desert person (maybe a dessert person) so this advice should probably be followed up by someone living there. Were I to attempt this cache with full knowledge that the day would be hotter-n-heck, I'd start out at dawn.

I'd literally drive to the residential neighborhood at the base in the dark and start climbing when light started to peek over the horizon.

The initial path is *Really* well manicured with large white stones, so you won't have too much to worry about with regards to objects to stumble over.

Nothing on the hike is all that steep, the last bit might require a little caution to avoid snakes and drop bears.